Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTICE: My appologies in advance for what is basically a really long winded rant. But i am typing this all out, because I need as much insight and opinions as I can possibly get right now... My 2 alternatives are either setting the damn thing on fire, or grabbing it with the excavator at work, throwing it into a trailer to get hauled off to a landfill. And when younread on below, you will see and understand why I say and feel this way...

While it has been a great while since i have been here last, life has become a bit of a challenge lately. Working nealy 60 hours a week still, though not killing myself like at my last place. But things have gotten to what appears to be a breaking point, so to speak...

So the time had finally come to where I needed to order that one thing that nearly 98%of all W-body owners wind up biting the bullet on - a transmission. YES, Papa SSmirf has fallen victim to the infamous transmisson monster, which has now set me just about upside down and 10 feet deep with the thing - in addition to a few other issues that have been consistent and on- going for years now... So I refinanced my note, which extended my payment out to about 3 years. Not a big deal. But when I had to take out equity against the note to cover the cost of the transmission, I am now at another 4 years worth of paying for the damn thing. Ugh...

So the transmission is sitting in my garage, waiting for me to come up with the money to have the swap done. I had just come back from Florida for my sister's wedding, which was nearly $2k (flight, hotel, rental...). So to make matters worse, now P.SS. needs brakes, a power steering cooler and who the f*ck knows what in the steering/front end AGAIN, after having replaced everything 3x over already... I am hoping that the brakes are just the fronts, and not both fronts and backs, softening the blow. The power steering cooler is a mother f*cker, due to running from the pump, all the way down then back & forth along the subframe before finally going to the rack. And the steering, see my previous statement 4 lines up...

So this brings me to the topic of this thred, "When is enough, ENOUGH?"??? On top of the $7500 i still owe onnthe damn thing, I amrough estimating close to another $2k worth of work and parts... Who knows when the transmission will wind up getting done, because the brakes and steering issue are the 2 major priorities at the moment, followed immediately by the power steering cooler. I dont have the money to get any of this sh*t fixed, even though I could buy most of the parts ($200 for front pads and rotors, $35 + shipping on the PS cooler...). But even that is a severe stretch for me right now.

Which in turn brings me to my next issue, and it is a severe kick in the teeth, selling even more of my music gear - guitars and equipment - which drives a knife into my heart doing it. In 2014, i sold 6 out of the 7 guitars I had just to keep this car going. I have ontained a few new ones since, but it only leaves me 2 that I could ideally sell if I really needed to. But where this becomes a rushing heartbreaker for me, is that I am severely losing interest in my playing. I amgetting bored playing the same stuff over and over again, i am not challeneged with it like i originally was. Plus the lack of time to actually play is the other issue - coming from playing at least 3 hours a day when I started, down to maybe 3 hours a week is devastatingly brutal. But yet, i still find myself wanting to buy more guitars and gear because i have been addicted to it for so long and has been a serious release for me. Well now its a thing of pain and torture, selling my gear - a deep passion of mine - to fund and support an ongoing nightmare. And my passion for my music is just about dead, to the point of almost wanting to sell my gear just to be done with it. But I know that if I do that, I am gonna be even more pissed off with myself, and drive myself deeper into a darker depression as a result...

So what would one typically think about doing? Possibly trading it in for something else, which is common and typically the logical thing to do. However, i find this to be just as hellish a torment for the following reasons:
*There really isnt anything out there for new vehicles that appeals to me. And with all this computer and electronic control that is capable of wireless access, it scares the sh*t out of me to think and know that any of these newer cars can be hacked into and controlled from God knows where and God knows who...
*What does appeal to me, is soooooo far out of my price range its not even funny.
*And speaking of all the newer electronics and computer control onnthese newer cars, this means that you cant just take it to anybody to fix them anymore. Now you have to go back to the dealer, which means your getting hit just as hard for the diagnostics, parts and labor...
*And lastly: Anything I could even possibly consider going for, would still have the remaining $7500 that I owe on the Impala get rolled right onto the total of the new vehicle...
F*cking great, NOT!!!

Again, sorry for the lkng winded rant here. But as you can all see, I am in a bit of a bad situation here with this damn car. And dont really have any good alternatives either unfortunately. It has been bothering me so much innthe last 48 hours that Inhave had a pain in my chest on and off for the last 2 days. I really dont know what to do here guys, what do YOU all think???

·
Registered
695 Posts
You aren't the first person to be in your position and you won't be the last. In fact, I just crossed the same automotive hell bridge you are staring at back in October. I bought a 2001 Grand Prix GTP about 2 years ago, overpaid for it to begin with. 6 weeks later, the trans craps on me and I am out $2000 more for a rebuild. So I chalk it up to a dishonest seller that screwed me. I knew that bright red new smelling trans fluid was too good to be true, and it was... So I suck it up and continue to drive the car. I eventually dump about $600 and my labor into the front end rebuilding it all and then another $600 on the rear suspension and my labor replacing all of it. 4 new wheels and tires later along with an alignment and I am thinking awesome, car should be good to go. Nope, of course not... Torque converter shits on me and now I am out another $1600 for a trans rebuild. Trans shop admitted the torque converter should not have failed like it did but didn't care. He wasn't looking to work with me and at this point, I was beyond pissed, feeling like you are now. After a day of cooling off and thinking it over, the car was going to be useless to me with a bad trans. So I tell the trans shop to fix it, I've got my wife pissed off and she is telling me to get rid of it, etc. I cut my losses and moved on. The only halfway decent thing to come of this was the dealer gave me a generous trade in on my Grand Prix and I got a decent price on the Impala. Came in well below my budgeted payment per month and I got the car I really wanted when I found it.

What should you do? Only you can answer that. You can get a shitload of advice from any member here, but you know your situation better than any of us and have to make a decision that you are satisfied with, not me or anyone else. You have to live with the benefits or consequences of your decisions, not any one of us. Having said that, here is my suggestion. The car is worth less than half of trade in or private party sale with a bad trans, and whatever else it needs. You also still owe money on the car itself which makes this a little tougher nut to swallow. I would say either fix the trans and dump it, or just take the loss and dump it as is. You don't need to buy something too new right now. Like you said, adding the loss on the Impala plus a new note could be a disaster. My advice would be to find something older yet reliable to drive while you rebound financially. It will suck but you know what? You may not have to sacrifice anymore music equipment, which sounds like to me your heart is still very much into. It is nice having a nice car modded up the way you want but sometimes the timing in life sucks. We join these forums and watch what others do and next thing you know, there goes the wallet. I have seen guys go overboard and dump more than the car is worth into mods and lose their shirts. Sometimes it seems like mods take less ambitionand thought than maintenance. I am not saying this is you, but this my own generalized opinion.

The only other thing I can think of is to just park the Impala all together and put it on hold. Make the payments to keep your credit in good standing and just buy a beater to get by in for a while. Save your money and just get the Impala fixed when the timing allows. If you have good enough credit, maybe use a credit card to pay for the repairs but only do this if you can afford the CC payment on top of the car payment. Maybe take a 2nd job to add some extra income to bet thru this. It will suck but is only temporary.

Everything I have suggested here I have done before. Worked 7 days a week for 5 years straight getting things in check, and overcoming a child support payment. It sucked as I missed out on alot of family stuff but I made sure they had what they needed and wasn't going to let them suffer. I drove the shittiest of cars to get by for a while. I parked a car I was making payments on once because I couldn't afford anything else. Been there and done it. My life is much better today as I have gone thru life's lessons. I know I don't know you from Adam, but I wish you the best of luck and hope everything turns around and works out for you. Don't let this get you down around the holidays and let it hurt your health. It isn't the end of the world but not the easiest of decisions to make either.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know... no real good solution otherwise. I was considering taking up a second job, but my primary one is brutal enough as it is, and I enjoy what little time I do have to myself. My last job in NJ was one where I had NO TIME to myself at all, working 12+ hour days for someone who still want happy with anything you did for him. After that, I have learned that I need time to myself to keep myself leveled and balanced.

On a plus side, I was able to get some help taking care of the brakes, the P.S. cooler and the front end/steering issue. Front pads are done, cooler is done, and it wound up being yet another leaking rack. So that definitely helps keep me leveled some with the car, leaving me to focus on the trans and eventually tires. Thank God...

But as far as closing the lesser of 2 evils, it's cheaper and more beneficial for me to keep the thing. Again, the whole issue of rolling over the $7500 I owe on it to whatever new thing I get is going to break me there, so that's not really an option. And I want to be done paying on this, so I can take out a loan on the vehicle I REALLY want - my garage king, another '92 GMC Typhoon. That is what I will have no problem paying on, and not driving daily. That is going to be the emergency back-up/Sunday/show ride, so I won't care as much about the Impala as I will that.

So the Impala looks to be staying g for the foreseeable future - despite being a pain in the ass... I have plans that I made a few years ago as to what I was gonna do for another vehicle, and I am sticking to it. Not in a rush to get the Ty, so I can deal with the Impala as issues arise. The extra time will also allow me to get what I want for the Ty little by little, so I can spend a day working on it when it does come home. And as for the music, I am looking to get back into lessons after the holidays, and have plans for another guitar in the works as well - converting an Ibanez RG7620 into a Universe, minus the middle pickup.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks as always!

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope everything works out for you. Best of luck!
Thank you bro, me as well. As long as it remains stupid little shit after the transmission gets done, I won't care or mind as much.

·
Registered
590 Posts
As much as I love cars, guitars, and many other things that cost dearly, I find it easier to bite the bullet and stay as practical as possible for the sake of my financial and mental health.

Look, it's just transportation above all, and while there is rarely a return on investment in this endeavor, at least you can try to mitigate the costs, keep them to a reasonable minimum, and play with the money that remains, over and above what it costs to keep your transportation on the road.

From before I was a teen, my dad always said stuff I didn't particularly appreciate, but the practicality of the advice was priceless. I'm not sure he was any genius or wise man, but at least he would spout stuff that probably came from others in his life, and it did always ring true.

Like the line, 'Champagne appetite and beer budget'.

In other words, you have the income and cash that you have, and that has to cover your costs. If you try to spend more than you can afford, you are only hurting yourself, and that carries the mental anguish of how to deal with outcome, as well as the now mandatory actions you have to take that put you further into financial trouble.

When your possessions are controlling your life, instead of you controlling your possessions, you put yourself in a bad spot.

Putting many, many thousands of dollars into a many year old car as your daily driver is not wise financial action.

I want a lot of things. I wanted an SS sedan, I want a recent SS Camaro.

I bought a $20K '16 Impala Limited LTZ with CPO warranty, and even that was a splurge, albeit one I could at justify as a compromise above a cheaper '16 Impala Limited LT. My back sure as hell appreciates the heated seats this winter, and the higher trim level will return some of the cost when I flip it.

Sure, I don't have the Tq of a V8, but I still have a pretty quick commuter car, and it looks sorta nice too, for maybe 2/3's or 3/5's of what a retail Impala of the same year would have cost.

Reliable transportation is the number one mandatory requirement for a working man.

You are already now well into spending the repair cost of the weak 4 speed auto, and will need to go deeper yet into the swap costs.

But you will still have a fairly old car that will not return any of this cost when you need to let it go.

At some point you will surely need to cut your losses, get into something newer and reliable, and warranty covered repairs are awful nice.

I wish you the best of luck, but remember, the biggest determining factor of your situation is you.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As much as I love cars, guitars, and many other things that cost dearly, I find it easier to bite the bullet and stay as practical as possible for the sake of my financial and mental health.

Look, it's just transportation above all, and while there is rarely a return on investment in this endeavor, at least you can try to mitigate the costs, keep them to a reasonable minimum, and play with the money that remains, over and above what it costs to keep your transportation on the road.

From before I was a teen, my dad always said stuff I didn't particularly appreciate, but the practicality of the advice was priceless. I'm not sure he was any genius or wise man, but at least he would spout stuff that probably came from others in his life, and it did always ring true.

Like the line, 'Champagne appetite and beer budget'.

In other words, you have the income and cash that you have, and that has to cover your costs. If you try to spend more than you can afford, you are only hurting yourself, and that carries the mental anguish of how to deal with outcome, as well as the now mandatory actions you have to take that put you further into financial trouble.

When your possessions are controlling your life, instead of you controlling your possessions, you put yourself in a bad spot.

Putting many, many thousands of dollars into a many year old car as your daily driver is not wise financial action.

I want a lot of things. I wanted an SS sedan, I want a recent SS Camaro.

I bought a $20K '16 Impala Limited LTZ with CPO warranty, and even that was a splurge, albeit one I could at justify as a compromise above a cheaper '16 Impala Limited LT. My back sure as hell appreciates the heated seats this winter, and the higher trim level will return some of the cost when I flip it.

Sure, I don't have the Tq of a V8, but I still have a pretty quick commuter car, and it looks sorta nice too, for maybe 2/3's or 3/5's of what a retail Impala of the same year would have cost.

Reliable transportation is the number one mandatory requirement for a working man.

You are already now well into spending the repair cost of the weak 4 speed auto, and will need to go deeper yet into the swap costs.

But you will still have a fairly old car that will not return any of this cost when you need to let it go.

At some point you will surely need to cut your losses, get into something newer and reliable, and warranty covered repairs are awful nice.

I wish you the best of luck, but remember, the biggest determining factor of your situation is you.
There are several reasons as to why I am chosing the lesser of the 2 evils and keeping the thing - especially for right now:
*For me to move into something else vehicle wise right now is NOT a good idea, especially on the financial aspect. Right off the bat, I am automatically $7500 out of any kind of price range with what I still owe on the Impala...
*Secondly, there is NOTHING else out there that I would want or even consider looking at for a newer vehicle. And the ONLY thing that I would consider, is definitely not in my price range any time soon - the SS. And I would even settle for a '14 so the price isnt so high, but even still they want more than $600 a month for a '14... :WTF: :hellno:!!!
*And again with these newer vehicles, manufacturers make it sonthat you cant just bring them to anybody to fix anymore, forcing you to bring it back to them to fix. So now your getting whacked 3x harder for the diagnostic, the parts AND the labor to fix it. Granted a warrany will cover 98% of what could and will go wrong with a car, your still adding how many thousands on top of the initial price???
- Not to mention that since we are on the topic of everything now being electronic and computer controlled, lets NOT forget about the BIG issue that Chrysler was and is having with their vehicles: being remotely hacked into and can be taken control of from anywhere on earth... That in and of itself is why I refuse to even consider anything newer than what I have now. I would much rather deal with sourcing prts that may be a little harder to find, cost a little bit more and can brinf to anybody I want to fix it if I cant do it myself, than the possibility of someone in the world hacking my vehicle and trying to kill me in it... FUCK YOU!!!

So I of all people get and fully comprehend the meaning behind the "Champagne appetite and Beer Budget". And i am not putting myself in the situation where i am living beyond my means. It becomes an issue when multiple things decide to break and go wrong at the same damn time, costing that much more to have to deal with. I have put off the front end issue for more than a year before it got bad enough to the point where it needed the attention. And the brakes were at the end of thier life, so I needed to get them changed before it cost me more for rotors and possibly calipers, which it has before in not a long period of time either... The P.S. cooler i also let go for more than 2 years because it wasnt bad. When i am getting puddle formations of oil on my garage floor and from right about in that same area as the cooler is leaking, I know it too is at the end of its lige before it becomes an issue.

And its not just this car I have had these same kinds of issues with either, it has been EVERY vehicle I have ever owned that Inhave had these kinds of situations with. Granted I am in much better conditions, situations and career standing in my life that softens the majortiy of the blow, but when multiple shit goes wrong at once, it can become a bit too much quickly and easily.

And i too know all to well that NOTHING is going to return any kind of value when you go to move it... it happens with EVERYTHING in our world today. Nothing is made like it used to, the economic systems of our world are more and more of a joke every day, and it all boils down to the end product the consumer gets to buy. Which plainly and simply, is all garbage, and winds up in the same place anyway - the landfill. We are not called "The Throw-Away Society" for nothing ya know...

And hence why I am choosing the lesser of the 2 evils, and continuing to deal with the Impala - as much of a pain in the ass as it may be to do so - until i have better alternatives, situations and conditions to actually move upon.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
They can only hack into your car vai wifi if you don't have your tin foil hat on...
People have been hacking cars to hurt people way before we were ever born. Just cut the brake line, short wires etc. Technology just adds another way but don't be worried, it's overblown.

Unfortunately it seems like you are stuck with your current car. Hopefully you can get it paid off and get rid of it and the next vehicle will be more reliable.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, despite the situations I face with Papa SSmirf, there has been a rather dramatic turn of events. And as of right now, I have less than 48 hours left with the car. I have been throwing the idea of looking at something else since this whole issue started, and things have worked out rather more surprising than I anticipated...

I have found something that I am really surprised with, and am going to make sure I am not gonna have the same issue I did with the Impala and break me in many ways. I am going to start a new thread with a little more details as to what I am getting as the replacement, and many of you will be surprised at what I happened to find and score...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel your pain 2006 Impala 3.9L...bought it for 5k only 2-3k improvements in parts...just got my brakes done because I've been feeling a nasty steering wheel shake when I mash brakes. Now I'm getting a nasty shift more like a crown vic or some sort. (Sounds like a doom/boom/bang noise). Now I'm forced to buy a transmission. The part that makes me happy is that my mechanic only wants 175-300 to put it on.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We await the news and of course pictures.
I had made a new thread in thus same section with the news and details of the new ride almost a week ago now, and it still hasn't been posted yet... can someone look into that please???

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I had made a new thread in thus same section with the news and details of the new ride almost a week ago now, and it still hasn't been posted yet... can someone look into that please???
Just "approved" it. I was wondering why I was the only one that had replied to it!! :)

Sent from my A1160 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts