Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m changing my rear wheel bearings next week & Im leaning towards grabbing some moogs I’d figure I come to y’all first I’m looking for some that’s gonna last more than a year

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I’m changing my rear wheel bearings next week & Im leaning towards grabbing some moogs I’d figure I come to y’all first I’m looking for some that’s gonna last more than a year
I looked on Rockauto. You're considering the MOOG 512357 ? Rockauto has them for $99. It's not clear if that is an OEM part - the info link for it mentions there are "Alternate/OEM Part Numbers" but does not clearly state they are OEM parts.

That said, the OEM labelled AC-Delco R2006 parts are ridiculously expensive at $222 each.

Timken used to be the go-to replacement brand, but I don't see any praise for them these days.

I see some AC-Delco 512357 hubs on the OReilly website for $113 (much more reasonable), but I don't think they are OEM.

So, from what I've seen in this exercise, I'd say the Moogs are a good choice.

Have you done rears before? What part of the country are you in?

I found, down here below the rust belt, that the rears can be stuck in the knuckle. I can only imagine the effect a few winters of road salt up north might have.

I used a stiff 1.5" putty knife with the tip sharpened to hammer between the flange and knuckle to separate them, then inserted a screwdriver tip to pry gently. After a couple trips around, it finally came free.

BTW, the manual calls for replacing the bolts (4 per). I got mine at the dealer. They weren't cheap, but I know I got the right parts.

HTH.

Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts