Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every garage i have taken this 08 impala 3.5 to they say its not a bad wheel bearing, so far i have replaced, brakes and rotors as well as a axle because i was told that was the issue. It sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me but then again it doesnt, because it gets quieter and louder over and over again, specifically if you go above 60 it seems like you can hear it really low but when you slow down or release the gas pedal at 60 it seems to be really really loud again. Im plum out of ideas, Unless its something to do with the transmission. please any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every garage i have taken this 08 impala 3.5 to they say its not a bad wheel bearing, so far i have replaced, brakes and rotors as well as a axle because i was told that was the issue. It sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me but then again it doesnt, because it gets quieter and louder over and over again, specifically if you go above 60 it seems like you can hear it really low but when you slow down or release the gas pedal at 60 it seems to be really really loud again. Im plum out of ideas, Unless its something to do with the transmission. please any help would be appreciated.
Here is something to check: On my 2016 LTZ Limited, I was having similar problems. No mechanic could find anything related to the axles, brakes, rotors or wheel hubs that would cause the sound. I had replaced the brakes, rotors, axles, tie rods and wheel hubs, but still the sound persisted. My particular problem started with a low rumble when going over a certain speed. Eventually, it progressed to also making that noise when the steering wheel was turned left of center, no matter how slight. Long story short, it turned out to be the front stabilizer/sway bar. The factory stabilizer/sway bar isn't solid metal, and where it bolts to the end links tends to crack over time. This is a common problem with these cars, but they don't all fail in the same way and therefore don't sound the same when they do fail. It's hard to see the crack on the stabilizer/sway bar due to the road grime that accumulates down there. After swapping the stabilizer/sway bar out and changing the end links, the problem totally went away. But not before it did its damage. Because the factory stabilizer/sway was not properly fastened to the end links due to cracking, the sound I was hearing was the rattle/vibration of the stabilizer/sway bar. That vibration ended up causing the steering knuckle that's nearest to crack where it bolts to the tie rod end. A very dangerous situation if not corrected! So if your problem turns out to be the same stabilizer/sway bar issue I had, it's an easy fix, but make sure you check out the adjacent connecting parts to ensure there's no damage from the vibration. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts