Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have a problem in the motor, just trying to figure out what??
The motor starts and runs, hasnt been driven in 10+ years.
The car doesnt have a muffler on it so there is alot of smoke when you do start it but it seems like its coming from the motor and I just put fresh antifreeze in it which leaked out of the motor, right underneath the head. I also see alot of oil below the valve covers, on the heads. Just wondered where my problem is.?

Ã

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Change the oil and add this blue stuff called 8 cylinder Engine Restore. It comes in a chrome can. This stuff works. Also, new oil has higher viscosity and will leak less because it is thicker. Add some coolant head gasket rejuvenator to the radiator. Follow the directions carefully for the warm-up and cool down times. A leaky head gasket can be sealed without engine disassembly. Old Chevy engines are bulletproof. You can always bring them back.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For starters, the head gasket and valve cover gaskets.

All the rubber and all the gaskets probably should be replaced before you start it again. If not, you will blow the whole engine.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In ten years every seal and gasket in the motor has dried out and cracked and leaking, buy an engine stand for about 50 bucks and pull the motor and get a manual at the parts store for about 13 bucks and start going through it, good experience.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to completely rebuild the motor because very gasket has dried out.

The engine is blowing smoke because the rings had no oil on then when you crank it over so you have blow-by, the seals on the valves are rotten so oil leaks pass them.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Check all hoses and try to tighten the valve covers. Hopefully it is either a faulty hose or a rusted out freeze plug letting the antifreeze out. Tightening the valve covers may stop that oil from leaking. Try to wash the engine down real good then restart and see what you find. Hopefully something simple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts