Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...a thermostat ? have a 1994 lt1 trans am with a 350 v8 engine,stock. i took out the thermostat becuase it was overheating, but its still running at 190 degrees F (160-260 , 210 F is in the middle) so i was windering whats the average temperature of a lt1 w/out a thermostat,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd make sure the thermostat is actually defective, driving without a thermostat can cause emission proglems and high gas consumption. Autozone.coms repair manual should have the specifications of its normal operating temperature, and if you do get a replacement thermostat make sure its the exact same temperature rating. If the vehicle is designed to operate at 190 then its probably not overheating and i'd leave the thermostat on. If it is overheating don't just assume its the thermostat you know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
190 degrees isn't overheating. Most newer cars run around 210 degrees as normal operating temperature. You need to put the correct thermostat back in place so you don't overheat and your emissions control equipment works right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
190 degrees isn't overheating. Most newer cars run around 210 degrees as normal operating temperature. You need to put the correct thermostat back in place so you don't overheat and your emissions control equipment works right.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Diabloo;143459whats the average temperature of a lt1 w/out a thermostat said:
Summer it will be very hot if not boiling, deadly for the engine.
Winter it will be very cold and you will be very cold in the car even after a long trip.
Spring/Fall it will be somewhere in between very cold and deadly for the engine, depending on outside air tempature.

You really should put in a new proper thermostat, and find why the car overheated in the first place. If just a bad therm then once replaced you are done. If not then find out what the problem is.

It can be any of the following (in some case two or more):
Faulty thermostat
Clogged radiator
Old soft hoses
cooling fan not working
Intake or head gasket bad.

Hope this helps,

Kenny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts