Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Buick Roadmaster Sedan that is currently requiring some rear brake repairs, but I figure, since I want to swap to disc brakes and LSD eventually should I just swap in a different rear end/axle instead? I currently need 2 rear master cylinders and brake lines, and the drums will need replacing eventually too.

Would it be better (more cost effective) to just swap the entire rear end, getting the disc brakes and LSD and better gearing, or should I just get the brakes done now, which would be 900-1200$ at my local shop?

I want to do the swap but I'm not sure what I would need to get, I'm still kinda new to this stuff and am not entirely sure what goes into it. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,901 Posts
A 94-96 cop car axle would get you the discs, and 3.08 or 3.23 gears but you can presume the LSD is shot if equipped and that gearing upgrade is pretty minor.

Understand the discs are NOT the magical upgrade most assume they are, stock for stock in normal driving the drums you have are BETTER because they work right, the disc cars got the same proportioning valve so the rear discs do not work right till you are hard on the pedal. now if you try to drive hard the discs will cool better but if you were autocrossing a 20yo Roadmaster you would be asking more questions. The proportioning valve can be modified to let the discs work right but that is NOT how GM delivered them.

3.42 gears would be about ideal for a daily if some highway is involved, if all in town or more performance is worth some more rpm many like 3.73.

Your car has either 2.56 or 2.93 gears stock. If it has 2.93 then a cop car axle with 3.08 is barely an upgrade.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts