Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everytime i get on the interstate my car steering feels loose and everytime i run over the patches and holes on free way it wants to wander away like im loosing control and it happens when i apply brakes at high speeds steering starts to jiggle. and when i am on the regular roads and run over a hump it sounds like my left tire is going to fly off. what could cause all this drama?:WTF:

·
Super Moderator
7,056 Posts
Ball joints
Wheel bearings
Tierods
Faulty strut
Bad tire
Control arm bushings
any combination of above items and/or alignment.

·
Super Moderator
7,056 Posts
IMHO a good shop will use a mechanical set of tools that attach to the front and on yours I believe the rear wheels. They will make sure the steering wheel is set straight, check/adjust the toe angle (how much of the front tires are set towards each other), check/adjust the camber (how much of the top of the tires lean in or out from each other) and finally caster (basicaly a tilt angle of the strut or upper a-arms). Some use computers and if the tech knows the system and will adjust all that is needed your tires will wear very evenly and the car will track down the road properly.

I have had techs that are lazy and only do the Toe-n-Go alignment. That is where they set the toe and not bother with anything else and kick the car out the door charging you for a full alignment and doing a very poor job.

Any alignment shop should check all the above items in post 2 before doing the alignment.

·
Super Moderator
7,056 Posts
I don't know with where you are at. I only use one of two shops here, one is a Goodyear store and the other is a friend of mine who owns and independent shop.

Could try any of these:
Sears
Goodyear
Dayton Tire

·
Banned
574 Posts
everytime i get on the interstate my car steering feels loose and everytime i run over the patches and holes on free way it wants to wander away like im loosing control and it happens when i apply brakes at high speeds steering starts to jiggle. and when i am on the regular roads and run over a hump it sounds like my left tire is going to fly off. what could cause all this drama?:WTF:
It could be a myriad of different things, but whatever is causing this, it certainly sounds as if whatever is causing this, (or a multitude of separate issues), is a safety issue, i.e. wheel coming off, steering or brakes failing, etc. I'd recommend getting the vehicle to a competent professional automotive technician as soon as possible before something happens that could put you and your car into an accident. I recommend having the car test driven by the automotive technician and for you to ride along in the car at the same time so you can show the technician exactly what your concerns are as they occur on the test drive.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
It also could be bearings/hubs. On my 92 I didnt torque the left castle nut properly and had the exact same issue.

I think yours has hubs, which are annoying to replace.

·
The Engineer That Could
84 Posts
just a thought, but check your powersteering fluid levels and the pump may also be going bad or there could be a leak

1 - 16 of 16 Posts