Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All sources I have consulted insist that GM designed this car with a floor mounted transmission shifter instead of the column mounted location. There is no SEO to have it column mounted.
The floor shifter prohibits the usual mounting of Dept. radio equipment and computer equipment.
Most larger (and smaller) Depts. have had to refuse this vehicle due to this single feature.
What on earth was GM thinking to DESIGN a police car... knowing this area is the the most important area for communications equipment.
GM better get on the stick to re-locate the shifter to the column or lose a tremendous amount of this market share..

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Completely off topic: 423 - how about posting a picture of the front end of your SS with the bowtie and the small SS badge - never seen that combo before and I think I like it.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The car hasn't even been released in the US has it? What departments are refusing a car they've never seen? Who the hell are you anyway? 4 posts since 11/09?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Friends in the NJ State police department have gotten to see the demo vehicle and had discussions with the GM rep regarding the shifter location and its potential issues. They stated that the Caprice has not been released yet for police use in the USA for this very reason (among others), and that they have been working on a relocation of the shifter.

They also said that the car was pretty badass and the officers couldnt wait to get it in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My guess is that Ford is likely going to take a huge hit ditching the Crown Vic and offering the Taurus as its replacement, just as Chevy did after discontinuing the Caprice. Those first Impalas were a complete disaster as patrol cars. I had three of them.

Hopefully the new Caprice and Dodge Charger will share the market near equally. For urban cities and small towns though I could see the appeal of the Taurus, however anyone who operates at highway speeds for extended periods of time such as sheriff's offices and state police/highway patrol will likely prefer RWD and V8, and I suspect that will remain the standard for the foreseeable future.

Most agencies will also wish to continue reusing radios, switch panels, sirens, MDT mounts, RADARs, and equipment consoles, etc., so the touch screen solution is certainly workable but unlikely for most agencies.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
^^ I don't think they will.....The CV has to be sent out to be fabricated/outfitted w/ police gear. Redo interior if the options weren't selected. The point is that CV end up more expensive. The taurus is already outfitted pretty well as is. Thus decreasing cost to consumer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
^^ I don't think they will.....The CV has to be sent out to be fabricated/outfitted w/ police gear. Redo interior if the options weren't selected. The point is that CV end up more expensive. The taurus is already outfitted pretty well as is. Thus decreasing cost to consumer.
In theory that sounds correct, but in practice that isn't how it will work out in many (or most) jurisdictions. Installs are often done by small local companies, or the CVs are ordered from companies that outfit them. Radios, RADARs, MDTs, etc., usually still have to be sent out to be installed. Resistance to V6/RWD is still strong after the Impala debacle.

The initial capital outlay for the Taurus (or Caprice, if not modified to accept existing equipment) will be higher, leaving an agency with thousands of dollars of unusable equipment. That why the Carbon Motors E7 has gone nowhere fast. $80k is nowhere close to what a state contract CV or Charger comes out to be after it is equipped.

Most of LE isn't ready for such a substantial change right now, especially when it comes to vehicles which serve as a 10 or 12 hour per day office. Administrators and bean counters are making the decisions, not patrol guys or car lovers. So what's working strongest against any innovation in the patrol car arena are the six most dangerous words in the English language..."we've always done it that way." :lol:

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
This has many of the features already installed out of the Ford plant. IE, steel plate seats, custom center console, adapter for comp. stand. Obviously cops and other audio/visual equipment is aftermarket, but the interior is built to accomodate them. The gas mileage is also significantly greater. Pic here:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for posting that! That's much better than the other interior pics I've seen, and more accommodating than I remembered. I really like the looks of the Taurus/Police Interceptor but I think Ford dropped the ball and didn't listen as closely as they claim to what LE wants.

In my opinion, at least in my area, the biggest hurdle for the Ford will still be V6/FWD. We just finally got approved to order 15 cars that are desperately needed and it looks as if they'll be Chargers (HEMI) because they're cheapest on state contract. My '05 CVPI runs like a champ but is falling apart inside and out! :giggle:

·
Registered
23 Posts
That'd be sweet for sure, I just don't see government agencies paying for it.

Unless of course government pricing on that engine wasn't anywhere close to the SHO pricing?

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Well, it'll obviously be less because you're missing the visual options, you're only picking up the tab for under the hood. Which should be another couple K. We'll see, but the interior is very nice for a police cruiser. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Back to the Caprice, I stand corrected. I read an article today from November 2009 that said the console shifter WILL be standard, HOWEVER they already were re-engineering the console to remove wasted space behind the shifter. I forget what company they referred to, but they will design and install an equipment console to accommodate existing equipment in a traditional arrangement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a friend who is at the MI state police car trials this month and I can't wait for pictures and the real deal on how the next generation of cops cars do. He worked at GM for many years working on the B4C?program (Camaro) and now is a cop. He looks forward to the MI trails each year,this year especially since Chevy & Ford have the new cars. From what I understand MI state PD has a couple Caprices they are testing. It will be interesting to see how the Tahoe stacks up against the Caprice. Carbon motors may show up. The Carbon motors car is way to costly for any dept and the only thing really going for it is the sweet BMW diesel power plant. The car has nice features many PD officers want,again the price is too much.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Wow that sho motor would be a disaster as a police powerplant. Yeah a twin turbo v6 is cool, but iirc they dont come with factory turbo timers, and the maintainence cost I would imagine being considerable more than a naturally aspirated v8

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I would not call them a major competitor. No pricing released. No service center infrastructure set up other than what they "intend" to do. Nice idea, time will tell whether they are a competitor or not. Right now,none of the Big Three should be losing any sleep.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Nope.......and Taurus will have an only police version that will be a competitor, and soon the police EXCLUSIVE Caprice....Carbons been stagnant for years doing autoshow gigs and nothing else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts