Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the Impala forums and glad to be here. I know people won't approve of it but it's my choice. I want to put 26's on my 2011 Chevy Impala, I've heard that it will cause transmission problems. What I want to know is, is there a type of transmission that would help to carry the load. What type of transmission do I need? Someone, please help. Thanks

·
Registered
979 Posts
There's only one transmission in the 2000-2011 Impala. The 4T65E will not like big tires. I guarantee it.

These FWD cars aren't like the big RWD sedans from the 60's to the 90's. A transmission change is more than just "Can I bolt it to the engine?". You can't just slap in a heavier duty trans like you could in the older RWD vehicles. The FWD engine and transmission are electronically controlled and nobody has hacked them to Mix-N-Match non-standard transmissions.

If you put big tires on that car it WILL break the transmission in fairly short order. End of story. That makes it an expensive mod well after you've paid the cost of the lift and the wheels.
You wanna play you're gonna pay. No way around it...
Transmissions are around $2,000 each... You're the only one that can decide whether the cost is worth the enjoyment you'll get. It'd suck to spend that kinda money and all you could do is look at the car sitting in the driveway because you can't afford yet another transmission.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If this is what you want and are set on it then check out triple edge performance Triple Edge Performance - Home
They re-build and make transmissions for our impala's and from what I've been reading here on this forum is that the guy there really knows his shit. If I were gonna get big wheels and wanted to upgrade the transmission that's where I'd start probably.

Also, FWIW, I've seen so many 8th Gen impala's with 26inch-30 inch rims, it amazes me how well they seem to ride with the wheels, they don't seem to struggle or have trouble pulling all that extra weight at all and most of the times their the base models LOL. I see them Pulling U-Turns just like I do with my stock wheels LOL.

I don't think any of the guys I've seen locally have did any transmission work to theirs and they probably ride fine at the moment but after a while you have to wonder how much longer they'll continue to be able to pull all that extra weight without any ill-effects.

It'd be nice to see someone on the board actually go through with it, usually when someone comes here to ask a question about big wheels it seems they either get discouraged/talked out of the idea by forum members and they leave the forum altogether.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts