Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told I would need a drive shaft for my 1964 4door impala. It has a 350 motor and trans and I was hoping to find a drive shaft compatable with it instead of geting one custom cut, or will I need to get it custom cut since i've put a bigger motor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually depends on what you want to do with the car. If its going to be a daily driver, maybe find one in the salvage yard; if you want to use it for the drags I would get one cut for it. To measure the length required put a yoke in the transmission, leaving about 2-2 1/2" of travel (someone correct here), then measure from center of front yoke (where UJoint goes) to center of rear joint (where rear Ujoint goes). That should get you going

Thanx.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I swapped out for a pontiac pressianne drive shaft when I owned my 64 Impala. Both cars had a 2sp powerglide, I blew a U-Joint while hittin switches at 60km/hr and litterly crapped the rear half of the driveshaft out. A friend had the Pontiac just sitting there so we took a chance swapping the front and back shafts. Lucked out, it fit so I just changed out the u-joints and bolted it in. By the way I had a 327 in my Impala and the Pontiac only had 283, both driveshafts looked identical and I never had any issue's with the power diffences.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just to add to this, I just found in my interchange book.

59-64 Powerglide Impala's:

Part #3963869
Overall Length 26 13/16 inches
Usage 1959-64 Impala w/powerglide

Just thought I would add to my previous post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts