Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 SS and was wondering what it would run at the track. Its all stock. Any good tips on launching this car?

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I raced an 04 a few years ago and he ran mid 15s on a track not known for it's prep. 04 and 06 are pretty similar right??

Honest question, not sure when they went V8 instead of the blower 3.8l.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
06-09 stock SS will run a low 14.... Ive seen someone with light mods (downpipe, CAI, catback) and drag radials get mid 13s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only plan for this car is a cold air kit, maybe a cat back. Im not doing much to this car but drive it. My Dakota takes a lot of my money

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
If I were you I would forgo the CAI and get some exhaust work done... the money will go alot further.... I mean both would be great, but if you are picking one or the other the exhaust will get you more hp.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I figure the Impala SS ('06-07) should be very close to the Monte Carlo SS of the same years. The Impala might weigh a bit more, not sure. I ran my BONE STOCK '07 Monte SS at my local track when the car was new. Best e.t. was a 13.99 but that was the only time I squeeked into the 13s. Most were 14.0s M.P.H. was 98+ through the traps.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yeah the Monte is a bit lighter, and a bit quicker. Im sure an Imp would have no problem seeing 14.2 or so.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Launch tips? I have new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus' all around, but I still have trouble with tires squeal on hard take offs. I just cannot seem to get the perfect non slippage launch. I can usually nail it with a stick, but the auto/throttle response in this particular vehicle is giving me trouble.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Actually, the perfect launch will have a LITTLE tire spin. I havnt taken it to the track, but my guess is that you should probablly stall the converter a little bit. Then on release dont mash the pedal, but get it moving a little first. Ease into it or else you are going to be losing valuable time going nowhere.

The good news is you definitley got the right tires... I have the Pilot Sport PS2's and think they are great for the car. Wish I could have afforded the all seasons though. Drag radials will definitley help get your 60' down... but if you are not planning on frequenting the track, you are better off saving your cash. The tires you have should be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I raced an 04 a few years ago and he ran mid 15s on a track not known for it's prep. 04 and 06 are pretty similar right??

Honest question, not sure when they went V8 instead of the blower 3.8l.
GM only half listened to what people wanted in an SS, They opted for the V8 instead of RWD option.

And I would never say the 04 and 06 are similar, V8's help pull those cars out of the hole pretty quick as most people said for low 14's. The stock S/C SS's were low-to-mid 15 cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts