Impala Forums banner

What shocks to go with?

5K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  maesstro 
#1 ·
I got a 96 and its lowered about 2" my shocks are worn out and I need to get new ones. Anyone have any suggestions on what to get? This isn't my main car so im not trying to put on the most expensive either, I just want a better ride.

#7 ·
Angel, how's it going?

I'd like to know whether the OE shocks on the Impala SS (deCarbon high pressure gas) were also overrated...same design as Bilstein.

9C1 cars had a Bilstein option, quite a few production vehicles have used Bilstein over the years, some still do--current Buick Lacrosse Super, for example.

Not sure I understand why you're down on Bilstein....GM uses them for a reason, and it's not because they're "overrated"? Yes, they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for in my experience, and I've used Bilstein on most of the cars I've owned since 1972.

Say Hi to George! :D

#6 ·
Fronts are easy....rears take a while longer due to the long reach trying to hold the nut while using the ratchet with extensions to remove. KYB's are slotted so installing is easier by starting one nut and bolt then sliding on one end of the shock and starting the other nut and bolt.

#11 ·
Depends on what you put them thru,where you live and such. Out here we see them on cars pretty often and they are usually worn or leaking even if they are not so old. Just depends on personal taste and budget,driving habits all of which play a role in how things perform/last.

#12 ·
They are lifetime warrantied by the manufacturer though, so even if they leak they can be replaced. At $40 per, a set of KYB's is roughly $100 cheaper than Bilsteins.

That one set of Bilsteins could theoretically last your entire life. KYB's.... not so much.
--

FWIW, The roads around here are arguably as bad as anywhere in the country.

I daily drive my car, as well as AutoX, Drag Race and Roadcourse it.

My Bilsteins are almost three years old and feel like the day I bought em.

#13 ·
Whatever works for his/her budget. Sounds like WhiteLtz and I have done similar abuse to our cars with the exception that I took my car off road on motorcycle trails on a regular basis(Do not recommend anyone doing this) so again go with your budget.

Parts may have warranty but no shocks cover labor cost, so again whatever works.....and they both work.

#14 ·
Sounds like WhiteLtz and I have done similar abuse to our cars with the exception that I took my car off road on motorcycle trails on a regular basis(Do not recommend anyone doing this) so again go with your budget.
That's funny lol.

When I lived in Colorado I used to take my Caprice off-roading in the rockies and in the desert all the time. I had Monroe Sensa-tracs at that point. Destroyed the shocks in just a few thousand miles.

#18 ·
ahhhhh ******* meth cookers always have the big 4x4s for those sticky situations:biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.