Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 caprice 9c1, lt1 . i want a scan tool but dont know if its obd 1 or 2 . anybody have a idea ? it was built 10/11/94 . i looked under the hood and did not see anything on the emissions sticker.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Since it's an early production 95 it's OBD1, there are a lot of scanners out there that read live data, but I honestly don't know which ones are best. Just don't get a basic code reader.

·
Registered
39 Posts
OBD1. For sure, and you do need a better than average scan tool to pull codes and do live readings. Obd 2 is more of a plug and read type.....

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I have a craftsman 20899 that does me just fine, they are about $250.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thats a option, and one that does more than just read codes..... prob the cheapest one you will find as all the ones I know of are snap on or mac.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Do you have a laptop?

If so I would get Datamaster and a cable. akmcables.com can hook you up with the cable and software.

You can get still good cables a little cheaper elsewhere but IMO there is some value in one stop shopping. Together you are looking at like $180 but once you figure out how to use it you wont ever want to be without.

If sketical use the link on AKM's site to download the free copy of Datamaster, it will log the car 20 times free before you have to pay. Before you even order a cable I can send you a log to view so you can see just how much info it can show you.

Far as the OBD2 thing, the 95 b-bodies are all OBD1 and got OBD1 connectors. The confusion comes from some other cars like the f-bodies partway through the year they started using OBD2 connectors but are still OBD1 cars.

The "flash the CEL" scanners will not work on the 94+b-bodies despite some manuals claiming otherwise. If using a scanner you need one with a display.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts