Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what kind of oil you all use for your cars. The previous owner used synthetic and that is what i will use. But more specifically, what brand do you use and why? Do you use specific oil filters?

·
Registered
181 Posts
In my old 97 Lumina with the 3.1L I use to run Mobil 1 with a AC Delco filter PF47E, I changed the cam at around 187,000 miles and the caps/mains looked like mirrors while the cam bearing were gone. Though I blamed that mostly on the lower intake coolant leak I kept getting.....

In my old 2010 impala with the 3.5L I ran Castral GTX oil with an AC Delco filter(Forget the number) that motor ran great till I swapped it at 113000 miles for a 3.9L with 23000 miles and I started to run Mobil 1 extended performance oil with an AC Delco filter, it developed a bad wrist pin 4 months in running so I went back to running Castral GTX with the replacement 3.9L

In my 2012 I run Mobil 1 EP with a Mobil 1 filter, I use to run the longer filter but I can't find it at any parts store anymore so I run the short filter though I change my oil every 3000 miles mainly because of the VVT

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
Castrol GTX 5W30 and K&N filter :beer:

·
Super Moderator
3,921 Posts
The answers you are and will continue to get are brand loyalty and marketing based. Not actually informative.
Informative posts will include references to Used Oil Analysis and be specifically from the same engine.
"Mileage" posts are pointless, my wife's 2003 3.4l has something approaching 230k miles on it, often going all the way to the "change oil" indicator and other than one change I did with the Intake leak fix has had nothing but dealer quick lube basic oil changes. You won't find me telling you that is what is best though.

The M1 love affair by Chevy enthusiasts is based on the M1 factory fill starting in the LT1 Vette, funny thing is the M 1 5w-30 never actually returned all that good a result in that engine, high iron numbers in particular in UOA.
Don't get me wrong, not saying it is bad, just saying it is undeserving of the reputation it has as being great for the application, and hell that is what is in my truck right now, not because I believe in it but rather because Advance Auto had a good sale with filter..........

On filters, anything but Fram and the premium stuff is generally a little better constructed.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Dwayne is absolutely right. Without a UOA, its absolutely impossible to tell how "good" a particular oil is...

I would recommend synthetic oil for Direct Injection engines though. Other than that, it probably doesn't matter all that much what brand oil you use - as long as you change the oil at regular intervals.

I also find it funny when people say that their car runs better after an oil change. I've NEVER felt a difference in the way my car runs because of an oil change - EVER! :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Castrol full synthetic 5w-30 because i get it cheap at Costco

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mobil1 is probably the best oil thats regularly on sale for aound $5/qt in my area so most of my vehicles have used it. Ive never had an oil related failure in 20 years and approximately 500k miles across numerous GM engines.

I run Wix XP or NAPA Platinum filters in virtually everything in my family/extended family car corral. My '14 Impala still uses non E-core ACDelco filters just because they are free to me and Im on a fairly short OCI on the new car so far.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You seem to be goading me with this comment. Not sure why.

I plainly stated the reason I used Mobil1 was its relatively low cost. And offered obviously anecdotal experience with it. As I've posted previously on this forum, on my own port injected engines I routinely run 5 digit mileage OCIs.

I've experienced oil/sludge related failure on both dexos, and non dexos conventional oils run to 0% OLM and obviously in many cases far beyond 0. This obviously qualifies as neglect, but numerous galled and otherwise damaged camshafts and other valvetrain components do manifest at the dealers even on vehicles that don't qualify as neglected and are purely run to 0% routinely on less than premium oils

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use Supertech full synthetic and filter, " Yes Walmart oil". Been using it for over 8 years and never had any problems with it. I've driven from NY to Florida back to back on the same oil change and it held up great. Never had to add any extra or anything. I've used it on my 89 supra, my 05 STI, my dad's old 87 caprice 2door and my 04 Acura mdx. $17 for 5qts and $3 for an oil filter. Can't beat that!!! AND before you knock me, mobile one, Amazon's oil, Quakerstate, Castro and many other brands are distributed by the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use Supertech full synthetic and filter, " Yes Walmart oil". Been using it for over 8 years and never had any problems with it. I've driven from NY to Florida back to back on the same oil change and it held up great. Never had to add any extra or anything. I've used it on my 89 supra, my 05 STI, my dad's old 87 caprice 2door and my 04 Acura mdx. $17 for 5qts and $3 for an oil filter. Can't beat that!!! AND before you knock me, mobile one, Amazon's oil, Quakerstate, Castro and many other brands are distributed by the same manufacturer.
You know Amazon has their own oil I believe it's called Amazon and it comes in full synthetic. I viewed some YouTube based oil trying and yiu know it held its own against mobile and others. I'm all in for value products and hlad it works for you. I have the worst things happen to me I'm afraid to make a change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You know Amazon has their own oil I believe it's called Amazon and it comes in full synthetic. I viewed some YouTube based oil trying and yiu know it held its own against mobile and others. I'm all in for value products and hlad it works for you. I have the worst things happen to me I'm afraid to make a change.
There is a guy on You tube who did the head to head test with Amazon Basics, Mobile 1, Redline and Supertech. Supertech held its own against the "Brand name" products. I believe his channel is Called (Product Farm). I dont want to sound like I'm advertising his name but you should really check it out and judge it on what you see. As far as the filters go I've watched so many different videos of them being cut open and left surprised on the quality of the actual filter. Like I said it works for me and I cant promise that it will work for others but I drive and average of 12k a year I do about 4 oil changes in that years and never had a failure with their oil.
I hope it helps a bit

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
One of the jobs I had way too many years ago was in an Oil Refinery. I saw four different brand of containers lined up to be filled from he same tank of oil. Just sayin' :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
24 Posts
One of the jobs I had way too many years ago was in an Oil Refinery. I saw four different brand of containers lined up to be filled from he same tank of oil. Just sayin' :ROFLMAO:
Exactly my point!!! Lol... Amazon Basics, Quakerstate, Mobile 1 and Supertech all come from Warren Distribution inc.:unsure:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts