Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The orange Dex Cool coolant. Mix 50/50 with distilled water. You will have less cooling system problems if you use distilled water instead of tap water.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check your radiator cap, if it has a pink color and says" special coolant" on it then you need a coolant called Dexcool, it looks like orange kool-aid, if not then the green stuff is fine, there is also a yellow coolant that works with both orange and green coolant. good luck

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I dont care what the cap says or what was in it, dont use dexcool. Use a good green coolant but not dexcool (orange) I have had this discussion with GM reps over and over.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I dont care what the cap says or what was in it, dont use dexcool. Use a good green coolant but not dexcool (orange) I have had this discussion with GM reps over and over.
I've see the horror pix, but yet i still use it :frown:

Anything special i need to do when changing from orange to green, or just flush & fill? Changing blocks so it will be empty except the heater core :tongue:

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I would flush the system for at least 15-30 minutes, you can do it anyway you wish just make sure for this that the thermostat is out so you have free flow without worrying about temp. I see the dexcool horror's every week, and everyday on newer cars we service I see it and tell the owner, if you want to avoid repairs and seeing me much more often.....spend a few dollars and have the orange removed.

Green coolant is by far the only good choice. I have gone years with green and my rad,hoses and metal items such as water pump all look great and no corrosion or scale build up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts