Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have never installed a sound system and i am a complete noob when it comes to this. i just bought a after market head unit, 2 kicker subs and the box for them...i know i still need to get an amp...question is idk what kind of amp to get or how many watts it should be. i have a hook up at best buy so if its there...even better.

Kicker 07CVR122 12" CompVR Subwoofer (CVR122, CVR12-2)
links to the subs
Pioneer DEH-P7200HD CD Stereo w/ HD Radio, OEL Display & iPod Control
link to the headunit

also...what kind of gauge wire would i need???

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
hahaha, alright well theyre each 400 rms so you want to get an amp around 800 watts. ohm is a measurement of the impedance or resistance of the sub, since theyre 2 ohm dvc you can wire them in parallel for a 2 ohm load. so you will need a 800 watt amp that is 2 ohm stable. I personally would get something from Alpine, but thats just me. Rockford Fosgate used to make good amps but idk if they do anymore. stay away from sony, kenwood, quantum or any of that wierd shit. i think JL Audio still makes some good amps.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Alpine - 1000W Class D Digital Mono Amplifier with Variable Low-Pass Crossover - Black - MRX-M100

would that amp provide both subs with enough power? what do you guys think?
It probably would be ok, but for that price you can get a much better amp. Go to a local audio shop or hell even search you local craigslist.

I got my Memphis 1000D off CL for $150 and have never had a issue with it.

And as far as wire goes, it really depends on your power output but since you're going to need 800ish watts i'd go ahead and put a 4gauge kit in your car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It probably would be ok, but for that price you can get a much better amp. Go to a local audio shop or hell even search you local craigslist.

I got my Memphis 1000D off CL for $150 and have never had a issue with it.

And as far as wire goes, it really depends on your power output but since you're going to need 800ish watts i'd go ahead and put a 4gauge kit in your car.
my friend works at best buy and he can hook it up for lik $230....i was just wondering if that would give me enough power to power both of the subs? would i need more, or less?

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
yeah man thats a nice amp and thats a sick price. sorry i didnt notice you asked about the wire, yeah 4 guage is good. lets see some pics when its in.

·
Registered
913 Posts
1/0 is overkill for that amp(waste of money). Plus he's getting it at bestbuy and I might be wrong but I don't think bestbuy has 1/0 kits.

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
yeah i dont think bestbuy has 1/0 kits, but thats one of alpines higher end amps. It will be fine with 4 guage, 1/0 is expensive

·
Registered
167 Posts
Make sure its made in America,i bought an amp off a local stereo shop.Paid $190 for the amp,had it pushin 2 10" Orions stable at half ohm.The brand of the amp was Planet Audio 1000/1,that shit bumped in my 04 Imp made the whole car rattle even with dynamat.Do your research and remember some brands your just paying for the name:beer:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts