Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the back left pulley in this lfx engine picture? I have a fluid leak that looks like it is coming from a bolt behind and to the left of it. I think it's coolant. Not sure. I was thinking this might be power steering pump but I didn't think I had one since I have electric power steering.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
What is the back left pulley in this lfx engine picture? I have a fluid leak that looks like it is coming from a bolt behind and to the left of it. I think it's coolant. Not sure. I was thinking this might be power steering pump but I didn't think I had one since I have electric power steering.
<snip pic>
I was thinking power steering, too. The alternator, AC compressor and water pump are accounted for. The only other thing I can think of is balance shaft (for vibration) but I didn't think the LFX had one nor needed one.

Shine a flash light down there and see what's there. Wires? Hoses?

How about high pressure fuel pump? That's needed for the LFX's direct injection.

Doug

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
How about high pressure fuel pump? That's needed for the LFX's direct injection.
I got a chance to look at the LFX in my 2013. The accessory in that position is the power steering pump on my car. Digging around some more, it appears the high pressure fuel pump is driven off one of the cam shafts (and hence is not on the serpentine belt).

So maybe you don't have electric power steering after all. If that is not a power steering pump, the only other thing that comes to mind is an air pump (aka smog pump) but I've never heard that term associated with the LFX.

Doug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a chance to look at the LFX in my 2013. The accessory in that position is the power steering pump on my car. Digging around some more, it appears the high pressure fuel pump is driven off one of the cam shafts (and hence is not on the serpentine belt).

So maybe you don't have electric power steering after all. If that is not a power steering pump, the only other thing that comes to mind is an air pump (aka smog pump) but I've never heard that term associated with the LFX.

Doug

I finally made some time to take a better look. It looks like the pulley I'm seeing is the crankshaft pulley afterall. Sorry about that! I definitely appreciate you making time to look at your car. I took a pic of what I'm seeing and attached it here. We've had alot of rain so you can't actually see the leak in the pic. It washed away. And it's an intermittent leak to make things tougher. Anyways, in the pic, you will see the left side of the crankshaft pulley. To the left and below, there is a bolt. Near as I can tell, the leak comes from the underside of that bolt. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I finally made some time to take a better look. It looks like the pulley I'm seeing is the crankshaft pulley afterall. Sorry about that! I definitely appreciate you making time to look at your car. I took a pic of what I'm seeing and attached it here. We've had alot of rain so you can't actually see the leak in the pic. It washed away. And it's an intermittent leak to make things tougher. Anyways, in the pic, you will see the left side of the crankshaft pulley. To the left and below, there is a bolt. Near as I can tell, the leak comes from the underside of that bolt. Any ideas?
Unfortunately, I cannot make out much in the pic. Generally speaking, if you can clean off the wet spots, then drive the car and inspect again, you have he best chance of finding the source.

After a drive, when you inspect, use a clean, white paper towel. This will help you identify the color. Red is coolant or tranny fluid. Brown is oil. Green is refrigerant. Clear is power steering fluid.

In that area, oil and coolant are the most likely substances.

HTH.
Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts