Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get my 2009 9c1 I just bought running. The car was in an accident before I bought it. It had ran over something that ripped about a inch of the plastic off the positive cable running from the battery to the starter. I am wondering if maybe this cable grounded and burned up a fusable link. I found the odd looking wires in the picture. Looks like it has aluminum foil wrapped around it. It is bolted to the block right above the starter. Can someone tell me what this is? Also need to know fusable link locations in the starter system. Tried to start the car last night. When key is turned to the start position I can hear a single click that sounds like its coming from the starter relay in the under hood fuse box. The engine will not turn over. All fuses are good and engine is not locked up. I turned the crank over with a 1/2" ratchet on the pulley bolt. That's why I am thinking its a fusable link. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wires I would think seeing it's going to block it's some ground for something. The shielding may be needed so it don't pick up interference from the starter?
About the fuse links could be hard without knowing if this is normal box from the x police or if they put in New one? Police cars have other fuse links why I ask.

Did you replace the starter wire? If damaged it may need to be replaced not just taped. Starter draws lot of current.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
IN your starter system there is 2 different things, I don't see one for just the 9C1 so I can't say what one it is for sure...

Red Wire is going from Generator to Starter Via a BLack/White Fuseable link
Or Red/Black wire goes from Generator to starter via a Cable Pro 200amp Fuse.

THere is a 40amp fuse in the Fuse box for the Relay power side for the starter as well. So when the control side of your starting system is told by the ECM to start the car that 40amp fuse is what the relay closes to, Once Start command is removed relay opens and 40amp fuse connection is broke...(Better explain. ECM has command side of relay contact 85 and 86. Then when you turn switch to start if all is well ECM sends command, IT clicks, Makes connection in Relay at 87 and 30 for starter fused at 40amps)

Hope this helps some more
James

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wires I would think seeing it's going to block it's some ground for something. The shielding may be needed so it don't pick up interference from the starter?
About the fuse links could be hard without knowing if this is normal box from the x police or if they put in New one? Police cars have other fuse links why I ask.

Did you replace the starter wire? If damaged it may need to be replaced not just taped. Starter draws lot of current.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
The wires themselves are not connected to the block. Whatever it is has a small bracket on it and is bolted to the block just to hold it in place. The starter cable the wire itself was not damaged. It just rubbed the insulation off of it. So I think I am ok just wrapping it with electrical tape.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IN your starter system there is 2 different things, I don't see one for just the 9C1 so I can't say what one it is for sure...

Red Wire is going from Generator to Starter Via a BLack/White Fuseable link
Or Red/Black wire goes from Generator to starter via a Cable Pro 200amp Fuse.

THere is a 40amp fuse in the Fuse box for the Relay power side for the starter as well. So when the control side of your starting system is told by the ECM to start the car that 40amp fuse is what the relay closes to, Once Start command is removed relay opens and 40amp fuse connection is broke...(Better explain. ECM has command side of relay contact 85 and 86. Then when you turn switch to start if all is well ECM sends command, IT clicks, Makes connection in Relay at 87 and 30 for starter fused at 40amps)

Hope this helps some more
James
Thanks, Do you know if the 200 amp fuse is inline on the cable or is it in the fuse block? I will search tomorrow for a black and white wire near the starter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
FYI, just taping that wire off is an electrical short waiting to happen. When you have it all apart take the time to replace that wire so you don't electrocute yourself or the vehicles electronics. You can certainly break a few modules if that thing grounds out on the block....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.