Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what a censor is called so I can get it replaced...

On a 96 Caprice... 5.7 LT1

the censor is located on the passenger side of the motor...
In between the middle 2 spark plugs, kinda right below it...

Maybe a Dark Green wire or a Black wire goes into it??

I think it has something to do with the antifreeze pressure
or the Temp of the anti freeze... I am not sure...

The problem I am having is, when motor is cold it starts right up
after warming up for about 10 to 15 mins or so, It stalls out
Once it stalls out, it takes about a half hour to start back up..
pretty much when the motor cools down again..

Inside on the Dash cluster, the Check engine light, and the CHECK GUAGES
Lights are on... and the TEMP gauge Flickers back and forth from ice cold to steaming hot at a rapid pace... just goes back and forth, back and forth very fast, and the CHECK GUAGES light pretty much comes on then goes out, come on then goes out..

Then after about 15 mins of running, it stalls out... pretty much when the computer censors takes over...

So I need to know what this censor is called so i can pick it up...

THANK YOU FOR READING

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
if your unsure about anything on the b body write george bates automotive, angel will know what your talking about:biggrin:

·
Registered
288 Posts
That's an engine coolant temp sensor- the lt1's use two though, so make sure you get the right one when you order.

Also, there should be some kind of heat shield on that sensor in that particular location, kinda looks like a metallic corrugated tubing. Make sure you have that, too.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Yes thats what it is, you have that one and also one on the front of the water pump. Do not pull the one on the passenger side till you know thats the problem......if you pull it, be prepared for a waterfall of coolant. Also keep in mind these gauges tend to take a dump after a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts