Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to put new rims on my 2006 impala, but i need to know what offset i need for them to fit

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for a 7inch rim you should use about a +40mm offset.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think you meant a 17" rim instead of a 7" rim. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I'm still confused about the "allowed" offsets... I mean if its a lower offset (+30, for example), you could still use it, right? It's just that the wheel would stick out a little further - is that correct? Or does the wheel sticking out further cause you to run into other issues?

I would love to know what the true, offset range is for different sized wheels... I guess wheel width would play into the offset ranges as well. Would be nice to have a table that shows the different offset ranges for different wheel sizes and widths for the 8th gens.

I also read different answers from different people on the whole 5x115 / 5x114.3 bolt pattern "debate". Some say they are basically interchangeable and others say that thay may fit, but that they wouldn't do it, etc. If I ever replace my wheels, I think I'll stick with the 5x115, just to be safe.

I did find the stock 17" Impala wheels have these values:

- Bolt Pattern: 5x115mm
- Offset: 47mm
- Width: 6.5"
- Bore Diameter: 70.3mm

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Go Get It
15,069 Posts
I'm still confused about the "allowed" offsets... I mean if its a lower offset (+30, for example), you could still use it, right? It's just that the wheel would stick out a little further - is that correct? Or does the wheel sticking out further cause you to run into other issues?

I would love to know what the true, offset range is for different sized wheels... I guess wheel width would play into the offset ranges as well. Would be nice to have a table that shows the different offset ranges for different wheel sizes and widths for the 8th gens.

I also read different answers from different people on the whole 5x115 / 5x114.3 bolt pattern "debate". Some say they are basically interchangeable and others say that thay may fit, but that they wouldn't do it, etc. If I ever replace my wheels, I think I'll stick with the 5x115, just to be safe.

I did find the stock 17" Impala wheels have these values:

- Bolt Pattern: 5x115mm
- Offset: 47mm
- Width: 6.5"
- Bore Diameter: 70.3mm

Correct, and yes. The wheel sticking out farther could cause the wheel to rub against the fender.

Also, as for 5x115 vs 5x114.3, as long as you have the correct hub-centric rings installed, the slight variance in bolt pattern will not make a difference. The weight of the car is transferred onto the wheel by the hub, NOT the lugs. The lugs are just there to keep the wheel firmly held on to the hub.

For instance, when looking at the car straight on from the font, the up/down weight distribution is handles by the hub, while the left/right forces are handles by the lugs. not a whole lot of horizontal force being put on the lugs, so the liklihood of failure is very low. If you do have lug failure, you're JUST as likely to have it with 5x115 wheels as you are with 5x114.3.

That being said, it's your car, and you've got to feel safe in it. I personally would feel 100% safe running 5x114.3 wheels on an imp so long as it has the right hub-centric rings. But if you aren't comfortable with it, you shouldn't do it.

Reactions: 77Impala

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Not really a safety issue, but just a "risk". For example, I've read that some people can't seem to install a 5x114.3 wheel onto their 5x115 cars at all. Apparently, if your car and the wheel are each at the far extremes of the "tolerances", the wheel may not fit at all. The risk is that if I were to buy a set of wheels on-line, for example, it's *possible* that they wouldn't even fit. At least that's what I'm reading... I also read about one guy that lost 4 of his wheel studs after installing the wrong bolt patten wheels. It's entirely possible that he wasn't using the proper hub-centric rings though - not sure.

Like I said, no personal experiences here - just reading what others have reported. It's just such an expensive risk to take if buying used wheels on-line. If buying used wheels in person and I got a good enough deal, I'd buy them if I could try fitting them first though. If buying new wheels, then I would just buy wheels with the 5x115 bolt pattern to begin with.

One more question, I see that a lot of the hub-centric rings are made of plastic! Is that a concern (seems to me that it would be). Would I really want cheap plastic rings supporting the weight of my vehicle? After my experiences with aftermarket headlight quality, I think that I'm just VERY "sensitive" to quality-related issues with aftermarket car parts in general! :)

·
Go Get It
15,069 Posts
I remember reading that a member here (scottyinwv if I'm not mistaken) who broke off 4 or 5 lugs using 5x115 wheels and the proper hub-centric rings. If it's gunna happen, it's gunna happen.

As far as them tolerance issues, I suppose that makes sense, but I haven't really heard of anything on the issue. Then again, I haven't really researched it as thoroughly as you seem to have.

as far as the plastic hub-centric rings, that shouldn't be a problem. First off, it's a strong, solid plastic. It's not really going to deform. Second of all, it will be completely sandwiched between the hub and the center of the wheel, meaning if it were to try and deform, it wouldn't really have any space to go. I wouldn't be worried about it, as if they were dangerous, rim companies wouldn't use them due to the risk of being sued.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
If they are a phenolic type of plastic the rings are good and strong. Most are fiberglass reinforced. GM had looked into building engines with that product in the early 90's and had already been using it to make brake caliper piston's.

And I have not kept up with the idea of phenolic or other types of strong plastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts