Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey im buying an 67 4 door impala with a rebuilt 283 and i was wondering what the mpg is like.
also i like them fast and iknow its 195 hp which is a little low.
whats the mpg on a 327 and a 350 since im thinking of changing the engine over.
since i live in the uk and im importing the car over and the fuel of here in US terms its $6 a gallon
keep cruisin.

·
Super Moderator
3,941 Posts
Going to depend far more on condition of the engine and tuneup than displacement.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
my 240*** mile 9c1 lt1 350 gets still gets around 25mpg !!!!or more:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Good luck finding a 327. You have to make-up your mind first, Do you want fast? or do you want MPG ? VERY expensive to have both.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey im buying an 67 4 door impala with a rebuilt 283 and i was wondering what the mpg is like.
also i like them fast and iknow its 195 hp which is a little low.
whats the mpg on a 327 and a 350 since im thinking of changing the engine over.
since i live in the uk and im importing the car over and the fuel of here in US terms its $6 a gallon
keep cruisin.
Speaking from experience, the original motor is not the best choice for performance and fuel economy. You can expect mpg of 15mpg or less, you may have to run special non-oxygenated (expensive and hard to find) gasoline if you plan to stay with the original 283. The accelerator pump cup doesn't respond well to the alcohol in no-lead fuel.

Suggest you replace the original motor and transmission with a newer modern one with fuel injection and hook it up a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission or an overdrive automatic, e.g., the 700R4.

IMHO, you gotta really love that old iron to put up with the financial headache it's going to be. Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts