Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright long story short my car has been threw some shotty mechanics id say, when i bought the car the guy said it had trouble overheating so he ended up replaicng the heater core and found out it was only a bad thermostadt, and some kind of aftermarket wiring to the dual fans from the fuse box under the hood was done ( havent taken it out so i dont know if it will totally cut the power to the fans thats just where the wire looks likes it runs )

anyways my question is that i was under the hood and saw that the MAF SENSOR was disconnected so when i connested it the check engine light on my car turns off ......... but while driving it the other day at a drive thru i noticed a HARD MISFIRING WHILE running AND IN OD but no check engine light ( so this might be from a loose plug wire or???? ) anyways if my MAF SENSOR was already disconnected should i leave it disconnected or listen to my car lol!!!

also are there delete kits for them ( thought ive seen one ) and if it is disconnected does it make my car run rich or lean thanx :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
personally i would leave it off since you know already what the problem is , i would leave it disconnected until i get it replaced ,
obviously u read my post wrong i dont know what the problem is
( besides maybe a loose or shitty plug wire ) and im just checking to see what the MAF IS TELLING MY CAR PLUGGED IN OR NOT guess im gna have to wait for Angel on this one he needs a damn hotline !!!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
626 Posts
The MAF sensor tells the computer how much air is flowing through the intake. The computer uses this information, with other input, to adjust fuel delivery. With the MAF unplugged the car is running in speed density mode, which just says (as I understand it - which isn't much) at this rpm, there's this much air flowing and you need this much fuel, instead of going off of actual air flow. Leave the MAF plugged in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
obviously u read my post wrong i dont know what the problem is
( besides maybe a loose or shitty plug wire ) and im just checking to see what the MAF IS TELLING MY CAR PLUGGED IN OR NOT guess im gna have to wait for Angel on this one he needs a damn hotline !!!!!:biggrin:
If it ran fine with the MAF unplugged, and it misfires with it plugged in, my guess would be that it is a bad MAF. Which is probably why it was unplugged to begin with.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i actualy think my opti is going bad and i know i need some new wires but thats a damn project we all know!!!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I had the same issue, thinking it may have been a bad MAF+ the tune (ends up it s just atuning issue on mine, yours prob is bad)....Anyway, w/ the MAF unplugged, the PCM on the 7th gens tells the engine to DUMP gas in, a faulty MAF, you may be running too lean, or even too rich, depending on what the MAF output is (hard to tell w/o scanning it)

hope that helps a little....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Isn't there a way to test MAFs with a voltmeter? 2.5 volts at idle and it changes when you rev up the Rpms? Can anyone chime in on this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts