Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 LS and the lower front grille is severely tarnished. I have a new lower grille in hand and would like advice as to the best way to remove the old grille. I see that the grille is held in place by several plastic self-locking "tabs".They do not yield with just pressure. The only way I can see to gain access to them was to remove the splash shield from underneath. I successfully removed all retaining plugs and screws holding the splash shield and slid the front center mount from under the plastic snap ring (what the hell? Plastic snap ring? They couldn't come up with a better attachment scheme?). Anyway, after the shield was completely disconnected from the vehicle, it was tucked in place in such a way that it would not fall out of the engine compartment! After minutes of tugging and pulling, I began to be concerned about tripping the airbag switch!!!I re-attached the splash shield and I'm now thinking that the easiest way to remove this shield is to cut out the grille slats with a Dremel tool, then reach in and cut the locking taps with the Dremel tool.Has anyone successfully removed this grille? If so, how did you do it?Thanks!

·
$ILLK
155 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. The grille is removed by firmly pulling it out along the bottom first or starting at one of the bottom corners. Those tabs are the only thing holding the grille in place. Once you get a couple pulled out the rest of the grille comes out easily after that. Try pulling with both hands from the bottom corner where the chrome trim piece is towards you.

It does pop out though if you are worried it will break. Like I said it does take some pressure to pop the first tab out but after that it is pretty easy. One of my 1st mods was replacing my stock grille top and bottom for the SS stock ones. I replaced the bottom one while my front license plate holder was still in place. The grilles snap back in just as easy.

Hope this helps and post some pics of your Impala when you are done please. Good Luck :eek:k3:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK...

I'll give it a pull and see what happens... as soon as some of this snow in New Hampshire melts!!
I work a lot on vintage snowmobiles and their parts break when you just look at them, so I'm a bit skiddish when it comes to forcing things!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Don't worry so much about the airbag, you would have to be taking the grill out with a 16lb sledge hammer to be at risk of setting it off.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I took the front bumper cover off to remove my grille... I know it was more work but I am weird like that

·
Registered
545 Posts
The other way is to rear end a truck ;). Not that I know anything about that lol. The ball on the trailer hitch will pop it right out, well in I should say

As they said it just pulls out. Don't do it when it's cold. Those plastic tips are thin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good point, I'm sure the tabs will give easier in warm weather. I probably should wait till summer!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The grilles are easy to take out. Just be careful not to break the plastic table and don't break the shiny plastic trim. I popped all of my grilles out to put on the aluminum billet grille.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Adding mesh grilles to my roomates 06, got the stock out, but cant get the black mesh grille to sit in their, we get it to where it feels snug, and then just tap the bottom of the bumper and it pops right now, not secure at all. Any tips?

·
Registered
51 Posts
So, I still need a little bit of a clue as to how I get the lower grill off. You guys are saying to start at the bottom, but I cannot get a grip anywhere on that thing. Help please.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts