Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
On engne oil any type of oil from any brand that has the "API Service SM" rating, that is in a circle on the back of the bottle, will work and maintain the warranty of the car.

Any Dot 3 Brake fluid will work.

Transmission check in the owners manual for the type that your car needs.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i would run exactly what the factory recommends until you feel your car is good and broken in. DO NOT run synthetics like Royal Purple and such during that break-in period as it may not lube the engine parts correctly and you could cause damage to pistons and whatnot.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have found with my other cars in the past, (I use my other cars as guinea pigs to test new products and anything I am curious about before appling to my Impala,) that if you go from synthetic to conventional oil its a bad thing. My 93 subaru didnt run smoothly after that. I was working as a field tech and was driving 45,000 a year, so I was changing my oil every month. I went back to a synthetic and it ran better.

The Impala gets Mobil 1 only!

M

·
0 Posts
^^^^yeah i love the k&n's for that reason too.

while we are on the subject, does anyone have the magnet covers on their oil filters? has anyone ever dissected a filter to see what was in it after using the magnet?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Magnets

Our BMW has magnets inside the pan of both the trans and motor. You'd be amazed the amount of metal those magnets pick up. Every time I change the oil, I take some metal off the magnets. I buy magnets now and put them inside the pan of EVERY car I own, to get what the filter doesn't.

I use, and have for years, 10w40 valvoline in all my small block chevys. I've found it to be about the best in my experience.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, I have read this thread and read around Bob is the oil guy site. When should I start running synthetic in my new Impala? I have run synthetic in my 2000 Chevy Silverado 5.3L since I bought it (it has 32000mi on it when I got it so this wasnt an issue). I was thinking running the GM Goodwrench (or conventional Mobil) until after my 15,000mi oil change then switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic on the 3rd/4th oil change. Is this a good thought process?

Thanx
Chris

·
Registered
226 Posts
The problem with synthetics in a new vehicle is that they work SO well that they will not let the engine wear and break in. I would say wait at least 10,000 miles before switching. I have heard of people getting better mileage up to the 10K mile mark. That tells me that it takes a car about that long to break in properly.

However, I run non-synthetic in my 2003 Cavalier. According to the owners manual I have to change the oil every 5000 miles otherwise I void the warranty. After my 100,000 mile warranty expires, that will be very soon, I will use Mobil 1 and change the oil every 10-12K miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts