Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont want a really loud exhaust a nice sound(quiet sound) but more performance than anything.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a Borla System on a '95 Impala SS and loved it. Not too loud, great looks, good performance, and great tone. Unfortunatly not cheap. I think I paid about $850 and that was ten years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had flow masters on mine..they sounded great not lound jus tht deep mellow sound..and they didnt cost tht much either..i piad like 175 for two

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use Magnaflow on mine with custom made headers and no cats... and electric cut outs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
exhaust

run a good set of headers with heat wrap, or ceramic coated, into 2.5 inch dual with mandrel bends, a crossover pipe(will get a smoother sound and more horses), performance cats (absolutely MUST have the cats if your motor has an 02(lamda) sensor behind the cats. should have the cats for emissions, and if you get good performance ones, won't hurt your hp) and some flowmasters. exit the tips behind the car, directly to the back, at least two inches past the rear bumper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
run a good set of headers with heat wrap, or ceramic coated, into 2.5 inch dual with mandrel bends, a crossover pipe(will get a smoother sound and more horses), performance cats (absolutely MUST have the cats if your motor has an 02(lamda) sensor behind the cats. should have the cats for emissions, and if you get good performance ones, won't hurt your hp) and some flowmasters. exit the tips behind the car, directly to the back, at least two inches past the rear bumper.
You can remove the cats even if u have an o2 lamda sensor, and not all states/counties have emissions testing, and also pipes 2 inches past the rear bumper, why? i have a flowmaster catback system minus the flowmasters mufflers, I just like the look of the long polished pipes, and the mandreal bends, Magnaflow has the best sounding and freest flowing mufflers, and there x pipes are hi quality. summit sells the o2 delete's, the catback flomaster system and magnaflow x pipe and magnaflow mufflers. Also u can get your ecm reprogramed to avoid the check engine light if u choose to go that route on removing your cats. just look at all the mustang off road x pipes, mustangs aren't exempt from emissions, and just about every mustang has cats removed.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Flowmaster is NOT the best flowing muffler if you are looking for performance, I think any number of the Dynamax mufflers flow better, Aerochambers flow better...

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is no one "best system". All of the performance exhaust systems of the same size will give similar improvements to your performance. So the decision as to what is right for you is what sounds pleasing to your ear. I run a 3" Clear Image system using SpinTech mufflers on mine. Here are a couple videos for a sound clip.

Here is one showing the car "at speed".

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can remove the cats even if u have an o2 lamda sensor, and not all states/counties have emissions testing, and also pipes 2 inches past the rear bumper, why? i have a flowmaster catback system minus the flowmasters mufflers, I just like the look of the long polished pipes, and the mandreal bends, Magnaflow has the best sounding and freest flowing mufflers, and there x pipes are hi quality. summit sells the o2 delete's, the catback flomaster system and magnaflow x pipe and magnaflow mufflers. Also u can get your ecm reprogramed to avoid the check engine light if u choose to go that route on removing your cats. just look at all the mustang off road x pipes, mustangs aren't exempt from emissions, and just about every mustang has cats removed.
Having the exhaust exit past the rear bumper puts the exhaust tips exiting into the forward swirl of the low pressure area behind the car, and actually makes the exhaust flow better by helping to "suck" the exhaust out of the tail pipe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
what is the best performance exhaust system.......i dont want a really loud exhaust a nice sound(quiet sound) but more performance than anything.
From what you describe, I would say that Dynomax with either of their Ultra-Flo mufflers would be the best fit for ya.

I have this exhaust on both stroked my B-bodies :wink: .

Available at Summit Racing.

KW

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is no one "best system". All of the performance exhaust systems of the same size will give similar improvements to your performance. So the decision as to what is right for you is what sounds pleasing to your ear. I run a 3" Clear Image system using SpinTech mufflers on mine. Here are a couple videos for a sound clip.
HaHa! That four banger is ruining your autocross video about half way through! I know I've seen the first vid on the other forum, but I don't remember the second one. Thanks for posting, and as I'm sure you're aware, sounds great (your car, not the riceburner.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have the flowmaster 40 series. and i had it dumped out right after the muffler. and it gave me a low, nice deep rumble.... i like it

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I'm really surprised at you running under the axle pipes, what do you do on a lift ? Hope you don't get airborn...lol.

X or H will improve your exhaust, ...like 'em or not.

$2000 for an exhaust system that doesn't even go over the axle....better be ceramic front to back or you got taken. OK headers could run almost a grand so.......

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes to Clear Image's ceramic-coated Tri-Y's with their 570 CFM cats and all four O2 sensors (http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/Products/Exhaust/TriY.htm) WARNING: THIS IS NOT A CHEAP OPTION!

Yes to MANDREL BENT (NOT "compression bent") piping (2 1/2" will handle things up to abut 500 HP). I went straight out UNDER the rear axle (right under the upward 'kinks' in the rear swaybar - if you hit a bump the axle goes UP - not down, think about it) ... but then I like the cackle of (2) 5-foot straight pipes.

(Screw X-pipes, H-pipes, cross-overs, etc. I can take down one side or the other without needing a rack or an army of friends to help lift things.)

My exhaust: (headers, cats, mufflers, custom bent pipes and polished stainless tips - all custom installed)... +/-$2000
- worth every dime.
I'm really surprised at you running under the axle pipes, what do you do on a lift ? Hope you don't get airborn...lol.

X or H will improve your exhaust, ...like 'em or not.

$2000 for an exhaust system that doesn't even go over the axle....better be ceramic front to back or you got taken. OK headers could run almost a grand so.......

TheFooserGuy... Sorry, but Gregg-O is right about the X-/H-pipe, especially for street machines. It will increase low-/mid-range torque with no penalty on the top end [based on testing that I have seen]. It also quiets the exhaust down a little [good or bad, depending on your perspective]. Use band clamps on either end for ease of removal for trans servicing.

Gregg-O... I think a huge chunk of that $2000 is those cats. Dan of Clear Image was talking about them last year on the other forum and they are quite unique. They have some type of coated metal spirals(?) instead of the regular brick (or much older pellets). They are supposed to be super low-restriction. Also, ceramic coating on Tri-Y's [which are almost full long tube headers] cannot be cheap either.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts