Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for specifics so please only people who know what theyre talking about. my friends have mentioned an air intake & computer chip. 303hp is nice but I want more!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
KN cold air intake under $300, superchips or diablo programmers under $400, i even found a NOS kit called sneaky pete for under $400

·
Registered
46 Posts
A cold air intake and a program from PCMperformance.com should do it. I would say a strong 20-25 more horse depending on the type of intake you use. Don't bother with the hand held power tuners like hypertech, super chips and such, as they are very limited as to what they can do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Start with Intake,then exhaust for a forced induction vehicle.
They love airflow-after you get those two taken care of then get the PCM tuned,preferably in person on a dyno or sending datalogs to a mail-order tuner.(GM's after 1996 don't use chips-they are flash programmable)
If you want nitrous,you should be able to piece together your own kit for $400 or less. Don't do it unless you know how to install a nitrous system though or you'll get screwed on pricing and components usually.

·
Registered
64 Posts
sorry-keep waking old threads...
I'm using the search function and not looking at the original post date-i'll stop.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I always like to post up info if it hasn't been given-I hate when I search for info and the question I want has been asked but no correct/relevant answer was given..

I hate to post questions on forums-they usually aren't simple stuff.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Theres also www.trifectaperformance.com. They say they can create a tune for the cars including the enhancements you have already or are going to put on. I have never used them so I can't vouch for them but I was thinking about it. If anyone has something different to say about them please let me know too before i spend(waste) my money.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
getoverkilled.ca
cartuning.ca- maybe, they do a turbo kit for the LS4
pcms for less might do them, thats pretty much all i can think of off the top of my head

·
Registered
64 Posts
There's only a couple software options for programming GM V6 cars-but all the major peoples should be able to do them.
Just depends on if they have any experience with the engine/platform and have created tunes that work.

I know Fastchips/Ed wright has the capability to tune them,also Westers/Allen and Justin at Blackbear performance.
They have the capability,just not sure if they have concentrated on building files for them.

I intend too,working out software issues with my wife's calibration now but I'm going to begin with building some affordable tunes for the 3.8 N/A cars with bolt-ons(for performance and mpg) this week.

Just need to upgrade the bench harness,would love to have a spare 3.8 PCM.

·
Registered
64 Posts
finally got my main issues worked out with pulling a cal from it,but boy it doesn't like to accept a reload or load in the tuner.
Having nothing but issues left and right with connection and upload/download etc..
I did get to put a small bit of timing into it to do a quick log,pulled quite a bit back out again and reloaded more conservatively.
It's amazing how much that little extra bit of timing smoothes these 3.8's out.
I've still gotta work out a few issues with both my scanner and tuning software vs. vehicle interface but it's gonna be fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The best thing I've done is add an electronic cutout system on the stock exhaust. When I want the power I open up my center console and flip a few switches to open everything up. You should hear the sounds I can make! :biggrin: Haven't been pulled over yet :: crosses fingers :: for having off-road parts on my car. I bought the cutout assembly and flanges on eBay for a total of $150 and it was very worth it. Did the welding myself...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts