Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
i have 40's and they sound hot...lol....go on youtube...they have a ton of sound clips of different exhaust systems on caprices....

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
You do know that Blowmaster is not the best performance muffler around right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
on my 95 Caprice??
are you going with just the mufflers or pipes,a couple guys i work with have 40's one on a 06 imp and a 95 vette they both sound good but the imp's you can hardly hear while driving and the vette is just loud because of the hatchback, im looking for some also the sound clips i've heard of the hooker aerochamber mufflers sound good to me, im just waiting to find some on craigslist or sumthin im on a budget

·
Registered
292 Posts
95 Caprice mufflers

I have a 95 Caprice wagon. I have a Magnaflow X pipe and the 18X9X4 Magnaflow main mufflers. I have dynomax race bullets for the rear mufflers to kill the drone. My system is mandrel bent 2 1/2 pipe from the cats to the rear bumper.

The 95 Caprice exhaust system is stainless steel so I would go with a stainless muffler. Magnaflow has some 4" glasspack like mufflers that if you just replace the main mufflers it will have a nice low rumble at idle and at WOT
it should have a good performance sound, your system is 2 1/4 tubing.

I wanted flowmasters till I looked at the flow numbers was to what the flow of 2/14 pipe.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I keep seeing people posting things saying they don't like flowmaster, or saying that there are so much better mufflers out there, but... I have yet to see anyone actually post anything about what these better mufflers might be, or to say what actually is so bad about the flowmasters. Which leads me to believe they are full of shit, can anyone back it up with something? Anything?

·
Banned
351 Posts
Cut open a flowmaster and cut open a magnaflow... The flowmasters typically have more baffling for sound enhancement while the magnaflows are designed for high flow and power.

edit: Ill be first to admit Im talking out of my tailpipe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
amen

I keep seeing people posting things saying they don't like flowmaster, or saying that there are so much better mufflers out there, but... I have yet to see anyone actually post anything about what these better mufflers might be, or to say what actually is so bad about the flowmasters. Which leads me to believe they are full of shit, can anyone back it up with something? Anything?
I happen to love the flowmaster, I was going to get thrush mufflers but.....I got flowmaster mufflers and they work for me so fuck the dumb shit..........

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I can't see it mattering that much, the difference in flow could not be that big. And even still, isn't that why you go with larger pipe? What cracks me up is people who are so concerned about the muffler flow when they still have a cat...

·
Banned
351 Posts
I personally like the way magnaflows sound better than flowmasters, but it depends on the car. Ive heard both on the 8th gen SS and think the flowmaster super 44 was too obnoxious and didnt suit the look and feel of the car, but if you drive something a little more muscle-carish I think the magnaflows would be too quiet.

It all depends on the ride... the sound should match the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What I personally did before selling my 96 Caprice was cut the Cat's off and placed a pair of Glasspacks on there, nothing but raw sound, but performance wise wasn't that much of a boost, so if you want sound then get good sounding pipes, but if you just want performance than get performance pipes, although I used to have a pair of Borla's on a 'stang and they sounded raw and performed well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dynomax

People have tested mufflers and have found that flowmaster mufflers do not flow the best. Here is one i found a long time ago http://www.broaderperformance.com/muffler_flow_tests.htm I prefer dynomax . On my street car i run super turbos sounds great and work well. Here is a clip of the mufflers at work
These mufflers have a very distinctive sound when you throttle it. I once ran a flowmaster on my race car then swithched over to dynomax bullets and picked up 4 tenths. If you have a stock or low hp motor a flowmaster will work great over any stock muffler but if your looking for alot performance you may want to look elsewhere. The other problem with flowmaster is every car around has them. go diff and you may like the results. I use to run flowmasters and will never run them again.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Check out the attached pic... this is what a magnaflow looks like inside... straight through pipe with acoustic dampener.... compared to flowmaster which, as far as I understand, is filled with metal baffles (not 100% sure on what they look like inside).

But "better than" statements vary from person to person. Its like saying coke is better than pepsi....

although we all KNOW coke is better

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts