Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2009 Impala, LTZ. The Vin and everything I can find says it has a 3.9 liter engine, including the CArfax. When I looked at it today at the dealership I found that it has a 3.5 liter engine. Is that possible? (other than the engine having been replaced.) It does have dual exhaust, just can't think of why it doesn't have a 3.9 The Vin is 2G1WU57MX91140572

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure. I am going to look at that tomorrow, although I'm not sure where to look for the VIN on the engine. I know it started life as a rental car. Wondered if maybe they (rental companies) had an option to put the smaller engine in. Don't neccessarily mind, just want to find out why before I pull the triggger

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Probably the wrong engine cover, you could only get the LTZ with a 3.9. I'm not sure if there is any easy way of telling which it is...

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That tag on the support right behind the driver headlight is the emissions label, it will show the engine originally installed into the car, and should have been updated if it was changed.

Reactions: okscott

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have the exact same car except mine is 2006 LTZ. Everything looks the same under the hood except the engine cover. My guess is that the 3900 cover broke and they replaced it with a 3500 engine cover. I can't see why someone would take out a 3900 engine and replace it with a 3500 engine, but I guess it's possible.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the exact same car except mine is 2006 LTZ. Everything looks the same under the hood except the engine cover. My guess is that the 3900 cover broke and they replaced it with a 3500 engine cover. I can't see why someone would take out a 3900 engine and replace it with a 3500 engine, but I guess it's possible.

The cover on my 06 is vastly different than my 08. Both are 3900. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Okscott, are you still having concerns? I recommend contacting your dealership to bring your confusion to their attention. In the meantime, I did check my resources using the Imapala's VIN you posted, and I do see "LGD - ENGINE, 3.9L V6 FLEX-FUEL" listed as one of its option codes.

Please feel free to send me a private message anytime for further assistance!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

Thank you all for your responses. Never got definitive answer, but I decided not to purchase the car for other reasons. I know from other vehicles I've owned and other forums that I have participated in that these type forums are a great source of information. Thanks again for your replays.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Good call. These cars are everywhere, encountering something like that is a big flag to walk.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts