Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my wife and I stumbled on a repair shop that rebuilds engines and transmissions. My wife was actualy looking at a 71 super slug bug, which we turned down. But we asked what they charge to overhaul the TH350, unfortunetly it is hard to find a rebuildable TH350 around here. Then we asked about rebuilding the current TH200R tranny and the total cost is expected to be around $860.00, which is the same price for the rebuilt TH350.
Every other place I checked would not even touch rebuilding the original tranny. The only thing wrong is that the reverse does not work properly. My wife is more patient with trying to back the car up then I am.

So my car will still retain the orginal tranny and still has the original untouched engine.:cool: So now after the tranny is put back in the numbers will still match up to the production information (if I could ever find that), which will keep the value of the car from being lowered.

So what does it cost to have a:
TH200R rebuilt, and
TH350 Rebuilt?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would just go with the TH350 I never had good luck with the TH200R and I can't see $860.00 for a rebuild that is a lot look in autotrader they have rebuilt trans from $300.00 I don't think the value of the car will drop by a transmission swap.
I had a quote for a TH350 rebuild for $550.00 that is my trans rebuilt here in FL.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wish I was in FL. Here in Denison TX the price I found was the cheapest with a full year warranty. Also had been trying for 3 years to find a useable TH350 from a salvage yard no one had any decent ones. And trying to ship one in by freight truck does not work out any cheaper.

Total price was $767.63, so to me that was a very good deal. The repair shop rebuild price with fluid, removal and install was cheaper than me going to O'Reilly Auto Parts and just buying the TH350 (with my discount) without the additional parts needed to make it work (vacuum modulator, fluid, etc.) and my time of removing and installing it myself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah I see what you mean but me I always do it myself I had a 77 Caprice with a 305 in it the motor was just dropped in not hooked up I put it all back together with shorty headers Corvette intake non egr w/4brl carb TH350 trans it would screem I miss that car

·
Banned
95 Posts
Hope this helps.I had my th350 rebuilt with shift kit,new trans mount,u joints and new flywheel done for a little over $1,100.00.Parts and labor.Valco Trans.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It is too bad you don't live closer. I have a Turbo 350 that is just sitting here. I had it rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago, and it is doing nothing for me but taking up space, now that I have the LT-1 4L60E swap.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Don't get the 200, it's a POS. I was GM trained in transmissions in 2000, we covered that one as well as the 350, the 700R4, 4L60/E, etc. The 200 was really weak, really no reason for it to even exist except that it was cheaper to use in low weight, low power vehicles. A 350C would even be better if you wanted to rig the TCC to work.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The metric 200 is a waste of time and money.... I have had many rebuilt in my younger years until I learned the swap to the TH350 or TH400 was fairly easy, cost less in the long run, and offered MUCH longer service life and reliability.

I could see wanting to keep a metric 200 in the car if you were preserving the car in original form as a non-driver..... but if you drive it, that 200 will break just under normal use. Terrible transmission, and reverse always sucked even when new.

There is some modification necessary to do the swap, mainly depending on what trans you find to start with (tailshaft length, etc.)... but, the money in the minor mods to make the 350 or 400 work will be save you money over rebuilding that POS 200 every time you think a bad thought about it, or look at it sideways.

Whatever trans you do rebuild... or interchange... remember to flush your tranny coolant lines and reservoir before reconnecting and adding new coolant.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Actually, there is a huge experience base on how to build a super strong THM200 in the Buick Grand National community. There are advantages in using the lighter weight internals of the THM200 with the turbo V6 in a light and medium weight car. Those advantages are pretty much lost in heavier cars like ours powered by higher torque V8s and the heavier internals will last longer.

Have you considered a THM700? It has almost the same capacity as the THM350 with a lower first gear and an overdrive gear. You will need to get an aftermarket "box" to control the lockup of the TC and a shorter driveshaft (readily available in 77 and up B-bodies). I am not sure if the old trans crossmember works or if you will have to get a different one, but again these are readily available. Core THM700 (and later 4L60 no "E") are readily available in full-size cars, vans, and trucks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
RMC said:
Actually, there is a huge experience base on how to build a super strong THM200 in the Buick Grand National community.
Agreed, but personally, I haven't seen any advantages in that particular transmission to justify the expense necessary to bring it up to reliable performance when compared to others that are more readily available, and easy to swap, often for less money all things included, at least for big cars.

RMC said:
There are advantages in using the lighter weight internals of the THM200 with the turbo V6 in a light and medium weight car. Those advantages are pretty much lost in heavier cars like ours powered by higher torque V8s and the heavier internals will last longer.
Totally agreed.

RMC said:
Have you considered a THM700?
Great suggestion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts