Impala Forums banner
7501 - 7508 of 7508 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well I made most the drive out from WI to UT yesterday and today stopping to overnight in Evanston WY. A check engine light popped on about 100 miles east of here but I decided to continue on as the motor seemed to run smoothly (I had to stop at Little America for my $0.75 cone). Upon arriving here I stopped at Autozone who lent me their scanner. This was good timing as the engine idle did not seem to be smooth.

“P0021 Intake Camshaft Position System Performance Bank 2

Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Advanced (Bank 2)”

The printout actually shows a photo of the VVT solenoid and insists that’s the fix. So I buy a Duralast TS1013 for $39.99. This took about three minutes to replace. The hardest part was removing the electrical connector as small bits of disintegrated plastic from the wire loom had fallen into the top of the connector and wouldn’t allow me to press the lever down to release the connector.

When I pulled the connector out the solenoid side of the connector was FULL of black oil! Ugh.

I cleared the codes with the scan tool and it appears to be running very smooth again.

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,510 Posts
Oh it wasn’t even an option to attempt to fix them 😂 I did use one of those little headlight restoration kits on the ones I pulled after I installed them though
They reach a point where the plastic is too oxidized to sand and polish.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I upsized my alternator and ground wires.
4 aught. Idk if it’s too big but it works very well. OCD
Tomorrow I will be clay barring. Met a woman who has a curious turkey, thanksgiving dinner pecked my car a couple hundred times, leaving marks. SMH
A little benzene removed much of the mark but perhaps it’s greasy enough to need the clay. Many many marks… I’ll wash, clay and wash it again then wait til dry to wax w turtle ceramic and ryobi orbital.
Dang turkey!

7501 - 7508 of 7508 Posts