Impala Forums banner
7441 - 7460 of 7467 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Today, ... I wiped-off the large Engine cover. One thing leading to the next, ... I kept going and detailed the whole engine compartment. Taking this old girl on-the-road. Boston to Saratoga Springs, NY. I love being able to see if I can shave a few seconds off this run I've made annually to enjoy betting on the ponies for a weekend. Boston City Hall to Mom's house in Saratoga Springs, NY. [[ 03:17:30 ]]. August 18, 1989. Peugeot 505S.

Reactions: striker66

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sweet tb
80mm?
Will that fit your air intake assm? Not the manifold part.
IDK what the diameter of this TB is. It's the stock model on '11 Impala LS (single cat).
The stainless Cat-back system fm NorthEast stainless exhaust might have added a bit of oomph but not much. The spectacularly cleaned throttle body is telling me we're good to run at flank speed with the exotics. I'm going to find a couple of lead-foots heading West,... and run in third place with my eyes on their brake lights.

·
Registered
363 Posts
On the 12+ I believe it’s 72.3 or 73.2.
The one from overkill is 80mm. I’d consider going to 80 if I knew it’d fit my oe air box tube as I’ve cut the front off the box and believe the tube wouldn’t be the choke point. But, idk.

·
Registered
300 Posts
On the 12+ I believe it’s 72.3 or 73.2.
The one from overkill is 80mm. I’d consider going to 80 if I knew it’d fit my oe air box tube as I’ve cut the front off the box and believe the tube wouldn’t be the choke point. But, idk.

Fabricate a stealth 'Scoop' ...
The front left headlamp assy is Stainless Wire Screen ... air brushed with a light coat of:
Light Gull Gray Terminally Fogged Ultravioletly Toasted Sun-burned Plastic Polycarbonate Concealer.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I’ve been thinking about the dogbone. I removed it and brushed it w the wire wheel. Then days passed and i sprayed it w metallic blue to match rotors. Then yesterday took it and the alternator off to get that whole bracket off, wheeled them both and sprayed gloss black to match powder coated cross bars and stb.
Also removed tail lights to wash white Iowa dust from in there.
Changed blue interior lights back to white leds.
Had a leaky rr tire, chased that until I realized it was the valve stem. Smh
Bought a slime kit at az that had stems metal and plastic caps and a tool to remove stems.👍🏻

·
Registered
300 Posts
With all systems GO, ... went fm Boston to Saratoga Springs, NY for the weekend.
Friday: With sedan vs 18-wheeler wreck snarling Mass Pike traffic for miles; we ditched the idea of making time and toured the side roads on the way to the Spa. The ride was delightful. The detour had us cross the Berkshires in the Pittsfield/Lenox area. Down into the Lebanon Valley; where it was our good fortune to see a mess of race cars being trailered into the vast parking areas surrounding the Lebanon Valley Speedway. Getting-over to Saratoga took all day.
There were times Westbound-90 was a parking lot.
Sunday:
The early Sunday traffic back to Boston was a treat, though, ... for the Lead Foots.
The New York State Police was out in force, as usual; with a whole squad of new Trooper's knocking-off the homebound between Lake George and Saratoga. They even had one of those programable, scoreboard-style, road signs flashing:
TROOPERS ON ROAD AHEAD -- BE PREPARED TO STOP.
Once we got out of NY and rolling toward Boston; there were long stretches where I was very happy with the cruise set at 80, ... maintaining a safe distance on the car ahead of me and watching the tail lights of the cars in the lead.

Reactions: striker66

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hello enthusiasts
I added mud guards. Looked long and hard for the correct ones. It turns out that for the limited those gmpartsdirect websites don’t accurately list rears.
eBay has the correct ones and if one uses that pn it shows it’s wrong. I ordered them from Fernando at Dallasgmparts,com although their website doesn’t list them they have em.
Got locking lugs for my newly powder coated 18s. Wrong or course, I’ll return and get the chromies instead.
Reduced the high end frequency on my low pass to about 70hz. Effectively the 2 12” subs are receiving their 600rms each and pound better bc they’re not wasting effort on the 20-30hz they used to have to do. All around happy 😊

·
Registered
300 Posts
I pulled the small 10mm Hex fasteners securing the front and wrap around heat shields in preparation for cleaning the two shields.
Front came right off.
Wrap around needs the Throttle Body out-the-way.
My plan is to refinish the two shields.
Treat the holes the fasteners fit with anti seize.
Smear some on the threads.
I'd love 'em stainless, ... but I think I'm ordering these!

(Flanged)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi
A couple days ago I started thinking about rebadging my limited.
I have black gloss and the metallic blue I used for the calipers and areas on the rotors. I sprayed the letters black then blue then black then sprayed blue from the bottom end of the surface the letters were on. They resemble a ghost style job. Black from the top and very subtly changes to blue. Up close it’s noticeable but from a distance it appears blacked out. Quite pleased w my extremely novice paint job. Got some 3m double sided tape and cut thin strips of it then rebadged the trunk lid of this biotch😉

·
Registered
300 Posts
While remembering the heroes of Flight 93, ...

I Oiled & Synth-greased all the Door Hinges .
Field Day'd the Bench Grinder before installing on new bench.
Automotive side-view mirror Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Automotive side-view mirror Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Metal
Gas Motor vehicle Cylinder Machine Auto part
Gas Motor vehicle Cylinder Machine Auto part

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ordered a new PCV valve from Rock Auto, purchased Supertech DOT3 at Walmart, and ordered some AC Delco Power Steering fluid on Amazon. With the higher cost of shipping for liquids, Rock Auto doesn't seem to be as affordable for that category of supplies.
I already have the necessary cleaners and supplies to then get in there and clean the throttle body, MAF sensor, and replace the PCV given my car now has 85,000 miles and the part wasn't that expensive.
I hate pulling all of the air intake area apart, so I figure I may as well get all this crap done at once so I wont have to pull it apart until the air filter needs to be changed next year.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
319 Posts
scheduled a trip to the dealer service department tomorrow to have them give the car a once over and list out problems with prioritization. Then I plan to go over the list and further sort the list into things I can do, things I might be able to do, and jobs I would screw up just by thinking about it, let alone if I actually attempted any of those.
Had a moderate increase in income with some back pay lump sum too, so trying to plan out car work accordingly. If the pile of cash were a bit larger I might have considered upgrading to a 2020 model from my rapidly deteriorating 2016 Limited LT.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm having my Impala's muffler bearings replaced.
AGAIN!!!
The car will be up on a lift at the service station, ... all night.
Get it back at 7AM when they open.
Gave him 50 for bearings, 50 for labor, Half-pint Jack, and a package of cheeses and meats from Martinelli's for his mother.
My daughters each spotted him twenty.
Muffler bearings are a LOT OF WORK.
Block and a half from Fenway Park !!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
scheduled a trip to the dealer service department tomorrow to have them give the car a once over and list out problems with prioritization. Then I plan to go over the list and further sort the list into things I can do, things I might be able to do, and jobs I would screw up just by thinking about it, let alone if I actually attempted any of those.
Had a moderate increase in income with some back pay lump sum too, so trying to plan out car work accordingly. If the pile of cash were a bit larger I might have considered upgrading to a 2020 model from my rapidly deteriorating 2016 Limited LT.
Dealer found right side loose tie rod...and nothing else. They also would not give me the summary sheet "in case I decide to go ahead with that one repair once I discuss with my wife". This lack of finding any more recommendations and the refusal to provide the summary seems odd. I suspect they are thinking I just want to use them to check the car for issues so I can go get them fixed elsewhere. But if they check their records they would see I have had several significant things done there (about half was under warranty). So I am a bit baffled by the reluctance to do what I explicitly asked for....a list of prioritized repairs and replacements so I can plan and budget ahead of time. At a minimum I would think they might mention the remaining brake pads thickness and the age of the struts/springs (85,000 miles on my car).Since a tie rod requires an alignment, I am also wondering about just asking them how much more it would be to add in front struts and springs. The quote for just the tie rod and alignment was $400. An alignment alone is $120 there. I am also wondering if I even want to get any more work done there if they are incapable (or refusing) to do a proper evaluation of my car.

Reactions: mattjhsn
7441 - 7460 of 7467 Posts