Impala Forums banner

7321 - 7340 of 7380 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for saying so. I feel special now. (-:

I’m new here and wrote a big long thing about my charging situation.
I’m new to the forum and haven’t figured out how to pose this question. I suppose if I put it here I may get some advice:
I question whether the alternator output is within specs and have received several opinions outside the forum. One was from a couple guys at auto zone another cane from a service writer at my local dealership.
Possibly some seasoned vets of automotive knowledge can share too.
I have a 14 limited. Love it! I added a sound system including new modern head unit w something called “maestro” it’s a tech thing that has an accelerometer and some other cool features. The system is composed of a couple 12” subs an amp to run them, 4 new speakers and tweeters in the pillars w an amp for them as well. Based on their consumption ratings I expect them to draw around 1500w. It’s my understanding that although substantial the draw isn’t continuous. I wanted to do everything right so I bought some 0ga welding wire to replace the power supply that feeds the alternator and under hood fuse box. My thought was it can’t hurt. Big wire back to amps which is split to feed them. 0ga ground from the sanded metal body metal that separates the trunk space from the cabin which is then split to ground each amp.
I also changed and added grounds.
Alt - to batt -
Alt - to body at cross support bolt
Batt - to original body ground behind headlight
Batt - to aluminum engine cradle
And I found an open threaded hole on block which I tied to a new hole I drilled into cradle.
To me this seems more than enough ground factor and power supply to feed the system. Here we go, so one of the features on this maestro is an amp meter which read voltage being supplied to batt +. I verified it’s general accuracy against a dmm. The original alt seemed lo on output so I replaced it thinking my stereo overworked it. So one was made for this impala in AZ at a place which makes them for several models. Reasonably priced compared to local stores. I put the new one on and all seemed well but the voltage bounced around considerably. It finally leveled off around 13.8v.
As covid set in I found myself out in the garage tinkering w better routes and locations for grounding. I changed one ground location and went for a drive. It was putting out 15+ for an hr drive. I thought I was burning stuff up. Next time I drove it the level bounced around and wasn’t alarmingly high then the next time it was. At auto zone the guy checked alt output and the battery condition. Alt was 15.2 and batt did well on the super test. They wanted to test it on the bench. I contacted the manufacturer who was helpful but couldn’t draw conclusions until it was on their bench. I took the original to az and had them bench test that one. 170a just like it’s supposed to. So I took the 240a out and put the 170a in. It was doing the same thing! 15.3 and bouncing around like the 240a. I drew this conclusion, 15V sometimes must be normal as both stock and ho do the same thing. I did verify continuity of the lead that plugs into alt as well.
Idk if it’s an ecu, bcu thing? Maybe something else? Maybe normal?
Any ideas, reinforcement or recommendations appreciated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I installed the zz front stb. It seems to be a bit more steady in the ramps. It’s not a race car but feels better. Don Rome is a very cordial person and answered a couple questions I had. I did order his brackets for the rear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Today I disconnected extra grounds I’d put on to enhance the big 7. Turns out it diffused the return path too much and caused over charging. Best advice is if upgrading wire size do not add extra grounds.

·
Registered
259 Posts
New AC Delco beam wiper blades for winter. Oil was down a half quart. 72000 miles and changed it myself the last time. Wonder if it is starting to lose oil or if I have a faulty plug washer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
New AC Delco beam wiper blades for winter. Oil was down a half quart. 72000 miles and changed it myself the last time. Wonder if it is starting to lose oil or if I have a faulty plug washer.
How many miles did you drive before you noticed it used 1/2 qt?

·
Registered
259 Posts
How many miles did you drive before you noticed it used 1/2 qt?
About 1500-2000 miles over two and a half months. So it may be using/losing one quart per oil change. No spots on my driveway. I don't know if a slow leak from a bad plug washer or oil filter seal would burn off or if it would leave marks on the drive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
About 1500-2000 miles over two and a half months. So it may be using/losing one quart per oil change. No spots on my driveway. I don't know if a slow leak from a bad plug washer or oil filter seal would burn off or if it would leave marks on the drive.
Interesting. I was expecting you to say 5k-7k. I’m not aware of a seal on the drain plug. I’m no expert, my civic back in 01 needed a compression type gasket on the plug each oil change but I’ve been driving two, well 3 different gm vehicles since then. Not to start unsubstantiated rumors but my xs equinox just got the rings replaced on it bc of excess oil consumption. The dealer monitored if for 1-2k and how much it was using. I’ve been back and forth on oil and it’s lifespan. I’ve changed to 0w-30 bc I’m under the impression that there is no such thing as too thin especially up here in northern Wisconsin. I used amsoil for the first yr and ran it the 10k. Mine had minimal consumption yet at higher mileage intervals it’s to be expected. My amsoil connection ran dry so to speak and that stuff is prohibitively expensive for me. I’ve gone to Mobil 1 and change at 5k. Here’s my thought, inquire about this usage to formal entities on a broad scale to see if others are doing this same thing. In the case of that equinox, some w the same motor used it and some didn’t. I’m uncertain if this could be listed in the tsb bc I know there are a lot of loyal impala owners that would acknowledge this issue if it’s well known.
enjoy the rest of your weekend.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Edit:
Her equinox is a 13’ and bc if it’s oil consumption it was done under some kind of good faith warranty. I’m pretty sure it had over 100k when they did the valve job.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have 17 months left of drivetrain coverage via certified used. Hoping if trans or engine are going to go horribly wrong that it will go before the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have 17 months left of drivetrain coverage via certified used. Hoping if trans or engine are going to go horribly wrong that it will go before the warranty runs out.
I would begin documentation of its consumption. It could be as simple as having oil changed at dealership next time then bring it back to question why it’s low. IMHO.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It was unseasonably nice in northern Wisconsin today so I washed and waxed my 14 limited.
This past week I installed don Rome brackets and am patiently waiting for my gm stb. Really excited for that to come.

·
Registered
37 Posts
took my lady to breakfast and noticed steam not smoke coming from under driver side front wheel.
shortly after temp began to raise quickly.
pulled into closest auto store and popped hood.
turned out my upper radiator hose separated in middle at clamps and spewd coolant every where #$%@^#
picked up a 1/4 brass hose mend. reset and refill of coolant.

later guys, stay safe out there

·
Registered
37 Posts
cleaning today,
carpets, leather seats, glass insides and all interior electronics.
have a great day guys, and a better night! 😉

·
Registered
117 Posts
In the last few days I washed that thing. Changed rear sway bar bushings. Ordered the addco 639. Ordered and received 8 qts of ac delco synthetic atf, drained and refilled 4qts. I’d sent off my fried sub amp for warranty and it came unexpectedly. Smh. It was like one hand didn’t know what the other was doing there. So that’s back in and I adjusted the heights of those amps to better suit the newly installed gmpp rear bar. In my eyes, that is complete and perfect. Surprisingly the addco bar is due to arrive tomorrow. I’m very excited as doing these little projects has kept me sane lately.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I received my addco 639. I have already replaced the end links. I learned that one has to remove mounting brackets of exhaust and lower it a bit to get the bar out, and back in. It’s considerably thicker and a little heavier but I don’t care. My additional stereo stuff adds over 100# so weight isn’t important to me. I drove it and it seems to be more planted but I believe that to appreciate it fully one would really have to push it. I currently have the snows on so I suppose when those good year summers wear off I’ll look into some super sticky ones and see how hard I can push it. I like the feel of the new bar bc it seems better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
.Spot cleaned then waxed my just bought yesterday 2006 Black on Black Leather, 121,000 mile SS Impala. Tomorrow with suggestions from you Forum Members I start a list of things to do to prep the car to go Standing Mike Land Speed Racing next April with the intent of running 140-150 MPH from a standing start thru one mile. Not all will be performance modifications some mods will be for reliability and certainly for safety. I have driven different cars or trucks at 130! 140 and over 180 MPH but all were rear wheel drive. I have no idea of what to experience or feel in a front wheel drive so if you have driven a FWD at over 139 MPH let me know what to Expect.
Thanks,
Garrell

·
Registered
15 Posts
.Spot cleaned then waxed my just bought yesterday 2006 Black on Black Leather, 121,000 mile SS Impala. Tomorrow with suggestions from you Forum Members I start a list of things to do to prep the car to go Standing Mike Land Speed Racing next April with the intent of running 140-150 MPH from a standing start thru one mile. Not all will be performance modifications some mods will be for reliability and certainly for safety. I have driven different cars or trucks at 130! 140 and over 180 MPH but all were rear wheel drive. I have no idea of what to experience or feel in a front wheel drive so if you have driven a FWD at over 139 MPH let me know what to Expect.
Thanks,
Garrell
l
D0AAD02B-6702-4C5B-AA3D-25C5C3E0C259.jpeg
ECE0A955-DEAB-4F30-9118-C1DE1045701F.jpeg
06EA2BC6-E666-404A-89F6-EB791D88D1D7.jpeg
154AB37B-C626-4EA3-BF78-B17BEF92C6B2.jpeg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Achieed? Lol

7321 - 7340 of 7380 Posts