Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that i have enough horses under the hood........but i would like to see if they are getting the proper care.......:biggrin:

i would like some recommendations on a code reader.......i see them listed from high dollars to 14.95............what do i need:dunno:......... i just want a good product that i can load up on my computer, tablet, or smart phone......

i have a 2013 ltz

thanks a lot.........seems like a good bunch of people on this forum.........that is rare...

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
If you have an android tablet or phone, get the Torque Pro app ($5). You'll need an OBDII bluetooth adapter ($10) too. It will not only read and clear codes, but you'll be able to monitor a variety of gauges that were never available from the factory.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ryd slo.......i'll check that one out.......i just looked at this one

great reviews ??..........I'll go check Torque Pro out........

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Most of the OBD-II adapters are just no-name clones and work the same. In my opinion, the biggest decisions to make when buying an OBD-II adapter are:

1. Size (some are VERY small, which is nice)
2. Color - just to blend into the interior, especially if you plan on leaving it connected most/all of the time. Some of the transparent blue adapters would just stick out like a sore thumb - especially the larger ones.
3. Power switch - some have a power switch that disables the adapter (or at least the bluetooth signal) - again, nice if you want to leave it connected all of the time - can just turn the power on/off when needed.

Otherwise, they're basically all the same...

I purchased this one myself, which I love:

Amazon.com: Super Mini ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II OBD Can with Power Switch ELM 327 OBD2 Diagnostic Interface: Automotive

It's $17, but it also includes the Pro version of Torque Pro. Not sure if it's a 'valid" version or not. I purchased the app anyway, just to get the app updates easily and to support the application author.

Also, some of the real cheap no-names adapters don't support the "Faster communications" setting in Torque - this setting allows the gauges to refresh more often. I'd try to stick with an adapter someone else recommends, just so that you KNOW it'll work properly with Torque (most will) and if it supports the faster communication settings, etc....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
That's kind of what I mean - there are some adapters out there that don't seem to work properly with Torque - by getting one that someone else already has and has already tested, you may save yourself some headaches.... Like you, I have a black interior and wanted to keep the OBD-II adapter connected at all times, which is why I went with the OBD-II adapter that did. It's black color and small size make it so you don't even know it's there.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up getting the ..........
Vgate ELM327 Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID

off of ebay because it said " would be shipped from the U.S.".........i'V waited for that slow boat in the past and some times it sinks...

i went to google download apps for the torque pro........google has a good rep for original apps......thought that would be my best choice.......

thanks again..............now i wait.......i hate that.....;-)

·
That Guy!!
1,424 Posts
I ended up getting the ..........
Vgate ELM327 Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID

off of ebay because it said " would be shipped from the U.S.".........i'V waited for that slow boat in the past and some times it sinks...
I did that same thing for something else, ended up coming from China. Took about a month for it to get to me. It was a CONSULT cable for my Sentra.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The seller gets some very bad feed back if that happens........and they don't like bad feedback :devil:

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
I got that same one from Amazon using prime. 2 day shipping FTW!

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I must say - I did enjoy Amazon Prime when I used a free trial with it. Just can't see paying $100/year for that benefit! I know you also have access to stream videos, but I use Netflix for that (and i'm not interested in switching), so it's just not worth the cost to get free 2-day shipping to me... Besides, one of the 4 or 5 things I ordered didn't get delivered within 2 days anyway, so it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. Free 2-day shipping - unless it's late! :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my son has prime and we were set up to order,but the 'prime ship' did not show up on the order, so we canceled, thinking it would be a 'slow boat ship'.. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I don't think I've ever had any Amazon order come directly from China, like you see on Ebay often. Could just be a coincidence though... Does Amazon even have items that ship directly from China??

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
My mom has prime, and gets the education discount, it's like $40 a year, and I don't have to pay squat.

Funny, the prime link shows up fine for me...

As far as Amazon shipping from China, yes and no.

Much of what Amazon sells is stocked in an Amazon warehouse in the US. These items are eligible for prime shipping. However, not all sellers on Amazon do their fulfillment through Amazon, and some of those vendors may ship from China. It just depends who you order from.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i don't know???.......i just know that we saw that prime was not available, so the china thing was just a supposition on my part........

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
torque???

this is what i i have right now......i got everything all set up on this lenovo tablet ...then i checked for updates:bang:........apparently there was a pretty important android update........one that wipes every thing that is not backed up to another drive.........anyway i started all over again.......

this torque software seems a little shaky to me.......very touchy....but after a while you can maneuver......

i guess i can't get an oil pressure:bang: .........but i can get 100's of things that i don't need:biggrin:

my biggest problem is that i can't get it all to work consistently in the car .......it connects and disconnects for no apparent reason.........i can't figure out if the bluetooth in the car is interfering:dunno:, or the lenovo is at fault.....i am not that familiar with the bloothtooth stuff yet......

i do have the torque pro.....

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Where can I find some friendly tech information on getting my ELM327 Bluetooth to connect the ECU with Torque?
It pairs Bluetooth but Torque keeps running through the protocols and won't receive ECU information. I tried my ELM327 on two vehicles - same outcome.
No codes, no Torque instrument gauges active. I'm not shy about hacking software settings if I know where to do it. And I've worked on a lot of circuit boards. If there was a cheap desktop OBDII emulator to figure this out on my PC, I'd be all over that instead of running out to the car in the middle of winter, and then I don't have WiFi for the tablet to get to websites for help as I go.

ELM327 Bluetooth - no name unit, no external LEDs or buttons. All white. Markings:
Bluetooth symbol -
ELM327
Interface
Supports all OBDII protocols

My Impala: 2000 3.8 LS. No modifications. Made in Canada.

Tablet: Asus Memo pad HD 7

App: Torque Lite

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
It could just be a bluetooth OBD-II adapter that Torque doesn't work with. There are some really cheap ones out there - some even use a "fake" MAC address (they are supposed to be unique). If you haven't already, I'd try going into the Settings menu on Torque, go to "OBD2 Adapter Settings" and disable "Faster Communications" and see if that help. If it doesn't (or if it was already disabled), try enabling the "Disable ELM327 auto timing adjust" option. These settings will slow down communications between Torque and the OBD-II adapter, but might at least make them work. Worst case, return the OBD-II adapter and get a higher-quality one. If interested, I can provide a link to the one I purchased (which works perfectly) - it's about $20, but has a power switch and diagnostic LEDs. It's also very small and black in color.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts