Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to insure your Impala. I'm going to be buying a new SS this week. I live in the Tampa area and I've noticed that many recommend GEICO, Allied, or Liberty Mutual https://autovscarinsurance.com/best-cheap-car-insurance-in-tampa-fl/.

I want to save as much as possible on auto insurance. Do any of you guys use any of the three? If so, what are the rates like? I need the best price possible and any advice or recommendation in my area that you can give me is well appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have Progressive. Got the best rate from them a year ago and they haven't raised my rates, yet... I had SafeCo, which is a division of Liberty Mutual, and I dumped them because they kept jacking my rates up, citing the cost of doing business in my state as the reason. Liberty Mutual quoted me hire so they were ruled out... Geico would not insure me because I have headers on my GTO, and I have never heard of Allied. I quoted the big names like Allstate and State Farm and they were too high.

This Root company has been interesting to me, but I think my wife's habits would kill us... yes, I just typed that... you may check them out and see if they can save you money. Shopping for car insurance sucks donkey balls. My record is spotless and I drive for a living. My performance car sits in the garage a lot and my wife's record is also spotless, so I don't understand where some of these companies pull their numbers from. Oh, and my Impala is the most expensive car on my policy...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
We have USAA.
The prices were cheaper than any other insurance we had before and that was even with added benefits. I've had to use their services a few times and they have always been really fast and great to work with.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Farm Bureau on everything. Someone with geico hit my daughters buick and totaled it, absolute nightmare dealing with them trying to get her some money and they pulled the rental from her without settling/having her a check leaving her with no transportation in the middle of the winter for nearly 3 weeks. Matter of fact it took a month for her to get a check after they told her that her car was totaled. I would not suggest geico to anyone, go with a company that has an office that you can walk in and talk to someone if the need arises. The local geico "agents" operate out of bodyshops and only there 1 day a week.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Believe it or not, I found that State Farm was the best deal in my area - and they have offices *everywhere*, so I went with them. They have been really easy to work with. I have previously had Progressive and they were easy to work with as well - but State Farm was much cheaper.

But, as you have seen, asking what insurance company is best is kind of like asking what speakers are the best or what oil is the best or what tires are the best. :) You'll get a million different answers - usually contradicting each other. :)

Costs of insurance also varies greatly depending on location as well, so while one company may be cheaper in one area, they may be the most expensive in another.

I'd recommend just calling a few different companies and getting quotes. Personally, I'd stick with the bigger companies and avoid the super-low-cost, fly-by-night companies that you've never heard of. While they may be cheaper, chances are that they will also be hard to work with when you need them the most.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've had State Farm since 2010 on my 2010 Impala. now our house/both cars are through them. supposedly i've been with them long enough to gain a 20 or 25% loyalty discount. it's about 8-85 monthly for the impala and 88/month for the 2011 cruze. both of our records are spotless for over 10 years (one accident each that was "forgiven" / not our faults. i figure its still much less than the 120/month i was paying for full coverage with much lower coverage (when i moved to Indiana 6 years ago i increased the coverages greatly to the point the salesperson said i was insured more than her, to me it was still worth it since i was paying half what i was used to). being outside of a no-fault state is paying off nicely.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
fwiw, had state farm here. They were fair and fine until we filed a claim after a tornado took down our barn roof and ripped off part of the roof on our home. They did not drop us, but failed to allow us to renew our farm policy when the next term came up, so we switched everything. Allstate, my wife took out a mailbox rather than take a head on collision at 25 mph in a curve on an unmarked tar and chip backroad when an oncoming truck was in the middle of the road and left her nowhere to go. No lines on the road and the other driver did NOT stop. Agent told us no police report necessary on the brand new durango limited we had owned for about 4 months, they filed it and we later found out that it ended up the wife being "at fault" and stayed on her record driving up our premiums, hows that for "accident forgiveness". We had to pay higher rates or 5 years even with other insurance companies until it fell off her record. I dumped allstate after that, had several conversations with their customer service folks as well as calling lexis nexis trying to get it straightened out. Basically allstate told me that my wife would have been better off from an insurance standpoint of letting the oncoming truck hit her head on since he was on the wrong side of the road and that would have put him at fault. Hit a deer with farm bureau waaaay back over 20 years ago, no questions about anything, my agent had me in a rental all was taken care of. No raised premiums. We went back to farm bureau after the allstate fiasco and been with them for over 10 years now. They did raise the rates for my daughter on our auto, but she had a couple of minor at fault fender benders. Once we dropped her off our ins, our rates fell dramatically.

Had progressive insurance before I got married, been over 25 years ago, recall having some issues getting a claim taken care of for hail damage. They did take care of it, but had a bit of trouble getting an adjustor out to get everything settled.

All in all, gotta agree to some extent with jtrosky that rates will vary by company with where you are. The best rate you get over the phone however may not workout to be the best deal, have to compare apples to apples and weigh out what you are getting for what you are paying.

·
Super Moderator
18,496 Posts
Nationwide. I pay under $170 a month!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
We have Farm Bureau. I won't give you prices due to living in a no fault and unlimited C.C. mandated for lifetime. So it makes Michigan the highest premium around:crying

The good news is that the agent is a workout buddy. I let him have a chance, he smoked the competition by a over grand per 6 month policy. Teenage boy driving so that drives the price up.

Already had a no fault parking lot claim, they paid the whole bill without charging the deductible. Next policy was paid with no increase in price!

Pat

·
Registered
598 Posts
I had Progressive, but they kept raising my rates. Now I have Indiana Farmer's Mutual. It's the lowest rate I could find, for about $80 a month with comprehensive. Only claim I have ever submitted was a tow claim, and I got the check within a week. I've been really happy so far.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
TD Insurance. Good rates for teachers.

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
Currently with METLife thru an employer program, and aggravated my rate went up 20% on one car a few months ago but haven't found anything cheaper, have no local agent though and no claims so I don't know how good they really are. My last two cars have been stupidly expensive to insure but the Wife's 2014 Impala and my 2005 Sierra are reasonable.

My last two cars are a 2015 Chevy SS and 2014 Tesla P85 both are known for being hard to get crash parts for, long waits, SS had a few aluminum panels, the Tesla is almost all aluminum which is harder to repair. Each of these cost more to insure than the other two vehicles combined

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
USAA just dropped our car insurance down another $30 a month.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Progressive. Been with them a few years and no complaints, rate has been the lowest and drops every renewal. Shop around rates and if there's a company you like, see if they'll match

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've had State Farm since 1971. Yes 47 years. Full coverage in NM costs me less than $100 a month. Haven't used them very often, but they always come through in a pinch.

·
Banned
5 Posts
car insurance

Dude, you know, to save money, I even specifically became a courier, as Courier Van Insurance provided by that company offers very cheap prices for car insurance for couriers. For example, instead of 800 a year now I pay only 580. Moreover, they insure the goods you deliver. This is a very nice bonus to the reduced cost of insurance... Furthermore, every year the price of insurance will only decrease )

·
Registered
146 Posts
AutoOwners and USAA are both rated very high by COnsumer Reports. However, this is a hard category to pin down. Different insurance companies focus on, and prefer to insure, different groups of people. By law they have offer insurance to everyone, but that doesn't stop them from jacking up their prices for categories of the business they do not want to focus on (new male drivers, rural vs. city, single vs. married, etc...).

So the best option really is to shop around with at least three different companies. The biggest fallout of looking at multiple places is all the junk e-mail, phone calls, and snail mail ads you have to deal with until you can get your name out of their advertising systems. But you can sometimes safe a crap ton of $$$$ by shopping around.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
USAA just dropped our insurance another $5 a month on the latest renewal.
Paying $150 a month for full coverage on a 2015 Impala 2LT 3.6L and a 2015 GMC Sierra SLE 4x4 5.3L. Includes $500 deductible for collision, $250 for comp, towing, roadside assistance, rental car, accident forgiveness, pays value of car plus 20% if totaled, $1000 medical reimbursement per accident and pays $100 a week for each individual out of work due to an accident.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts