Impala Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do research for a living and I don't do anything without a plan. So for large ticket items (cars, smart phones, major appliances, ...), I am pretty much always researching and doing comparison shopping so I am prepared. I am curious if anyone else has this tendency and what your current favorites are.
That said, my current favorite several cars in line if anything happens to my 16 Impala Limited are:
Toyota Avalon
Toyota Sienna
Subaru Outback
F-150 Supercrew
Ram 1500 Supercrew

If I won the lottery I would probably be looking at an Audi A8, or A6 Wagon, or a BMW 7 series, or a Mercedez G

·
Registered
440 Posts
We just bought a 2021 Chevy Traverse High Country In pearl white with the beautiful loft brown interior. I've been a sucker for for one ever since seeing one at the Detroit auto show, I think in 2017 or 18. I am selling my 15 Impala LTZ to my son & daughter-in-law. Her 2014 Camry got totaled 2 weeks ago by an unlicensed driver looking at the GPS on his cell phone because he said he was unfamiliar with the area. She ran off the road to avoid a head-on probable fatal collision, and he still T-boned her in the drivers front wheel, both of them probably going 40mph or better. I was hoping to wait till next year to get a 2022 Traverse with the fresh MCE, which was supposed to be on the '21 model before covid. My wife asked me to sell it to them, and buy us a new car. At first, I said no. Then the wheels started turning, and I was done for. and not so

The Traverse had been on the lot less than a week, and had 5 miles on it. I haven't driven it anywhere, other than the 25 miles home from the dealer. The weather has been real messy here the last week. The Impala gets transferred to them Friday. I really liked it, and hated to let it go, but it's still in the family. The bad part is, I still will be working on it when it's older and not so reliable, or as clean and beautiful.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Vlad, I'm with you on doing the research. When I was younger, my automotive purchases were almost entirely emotionally based. That often worked out less than ideally, as you might imagine. (My memories of the trials and tribulations visited upon me after the ill-considered acquisition an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce still sting a little.) But now that I am older than dirt and hopefully a little wiser, I invest in considerable pre-purchase research and make my vehicle choices based on a logical list of priorities developed around each vehicle’s intended primary use. This has worked out well.

I believe in using the right tool for the job at hand, and I’ve extended this philosophy to include vehicles. My wife and I own three different vehicles between the two of us. All were selected for very different missions in life, so my list of priorities for each was different from those of the others. They went something like this ...

DAILY DRIVER: I chose my Impala Limited as my latest daily driver based on the following top six priorities:
  1. Quiet and comfortable transport for my commutes
  2. Good passenger room for at least four and a cavernous trunk
  3. Excellent reliability
  4. Low upkeep costs
  5. Ready parts availability
  6. A reasonable compromise between decent performance and good fuel efficiency
After four years, the car still checks all those boxes, so it’ll continue to be my commuter for some time to come. (Two lessons I learned the hard way: (1) when you get a good one hang onto it, because they aren’t all good, and (2) when you get a BAD one, get rid of it right away, because you’ll never dump enough money into it to make it a good one. ;))

UTILITY VEHICLE: My wife is still happily driving her 2000 GMC Jimmy, which was purchased used with 60K miles on it based on the following top priorities:
  1. Bigger on the inside than on the outside (think Dr. Who’s Tardis)
  2. Strong like Russian tractor (i.e. body-on-frame architecture)
  3. Genuine 4WD with transfer case with locking capability
  4. Decent towing capacity
  5. Excellent reliability
  6. Livable upkeep costs
The fact that this one is still around after umpteen years, means this vehicle is still meeting all of its expectations. Furthermore, I couldn’t replace it with any recent offering that does, e.g. the Jimmy weighs only 4K lbs. yet has a 5K-lb. towing capacity. :)

FRIVOLOUS TOY: Our third vehicle, which was purchased new in 2001 and continually modified ever since, is my weekend fun machine. Its purchase decision was based on the following top six priorities:
  1. Fully retractable top for enjoying sunny days and fresh air
  2. Capable of accelerating quicker than a scalded cat
  3. Excellent handling and stopping power
  4. Readily available performance parts
  5. Livable insurance costs
  6. Decent reliability
Admittedly, emotion played a much larger role in choosing this car than the others, but logic still played a part, so the various Euro-trash marques were disqualified from consideration. I’ve dumped a boatload of money into aftermarket performance parts for this car, but it still starts every time I twist the key and never ceases to impress me with its capabilities. It’s also a keeper. :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
So, how long are you going to leave us hanging Tesla? What is the frivolous toy?
Just a little black Mustang Cobra that's been heavily modified ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
BMW i3. When I think of luxury electric cars, I think of Tesla and it's wow-factor. But it's awfully pricey. BMW's i3 is within reach, at less than half the price. I admit it's a big step down in terms of sportiness, but it's got a bold look that might appeal to some types. BMW has great customer service and delivers a quality product. And it's got the smug factor going for it, being very environmentally conscious all around, including the production process, with 70% less water used. 0-60 in 6.5-second acceleration is pretty nice for a no-fuel car, compared to a slightly slower 6.8 with the Mercedes. Also, unlike the Mercedes, it's a car designed around an electric drive, so it takes full advantage of the technology.

·
Registered
7 Posts
BMW i3. When I think of luxury electric cars, I think of Tesla and it's wow-factor. But it's awfully pricey. BMW's i3 is within reach, at less than half the price. I admit it's a big step down in terms of sportiness, but it's got a bold look that might appeal to some types. BMW has great customer service and delivers a quality product. And it's got the smug factor going for it, being very environmentally conscious all around, including the production process, with 70% less water used. 0-60 in 6.5-second acceleration is pretty nice for a no-fuel car, compared to a slightly slower 6.8 with the Mercedes. Also, unlike the Mercedes, it's a car designed around an electric drive, so it takes full advantage of the technology.
BMW i3 is a good car, I bought it last year and I am still satisfied with it. To be honest, I ride not every day but it's enough to write a review. I like it because it's compact and super fast. By the way, I always use this calculator evadept.com/calc/tesla-supercharger-charging-cost-calculator to find out the approximate time and cost, it's a great tool for electric car owners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts