Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have A 94 State Trooper Chevy Caprice Lt1 She Has 180,000 Miles But You Would Never Know She Runs Strong And Does 130 Mp Easy On The Cluster It Goes Too 180,000 Too 147,000 Miles And Then Says Error On The Cluster Then Blinks Out Then Comes Back I Know It Has The Low Gear Block Out, But It Was Removed And The Car Still Does Not Downshift To First I Brought It Too A Transmission Shop The Guy Says When You Take It Out Of Park It Goes Into First Gear But After A Stop At A Stop Sign Or Light It Goes Into Third Gear Instead Of Second He Thinks I Might Have Bad Wiring Too The Computer Or Bad Wiring On The Transmission,i Think It Might Be The Computer Because The Car Drives Funny Acts Like It Wants Too Shut Off When You Stop And Then Drive I Put Everything New On The Motor Someone Who Knows 9c1 Caprice Can You Let Me Know What You Think. Thanks Love Chevys For Life

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Have you had the computer scanned for any codes it may have? That is the first thing I would do. Find someone whom has a OBD-I diagnostic computer that can hook up to yours and read its stored codes. This may not be the actual computer itself dying but a faulty part or wiring. Just replacing parts will not solve the problem.

When the car stays in third gear at a stop (sign, light, or whatever) and does not down shift then the engine will sound like it wants to shut off. That is because the engine does not have the torque for taking off in third gear from a dead stop. Does this car use a vacuum modulator or electronic modulator? It could be bad. It may be the wiring harness from the computer to the tranny. There are so many things that can cause the problems you are having. Have you checked all of the vacuum hoses, vacuum bottle (if it has one), and pots for leaks?

On another forum I am on someone had installed the wrong replacement light bulb and caused his tranny to act up. Don't ask me how but as soon as he put in the correct bulb the tranny behaved again.

Does the car idle funny when the tranny is in park or neutral? Do you know someone whom is good with electrical wiring whom can check the harness at the computer and the tranny? If so might ask them to look in to that for you.

I hope this helps and if I can be of more help please let me know. Kenny

·
Registered
140 Posts
Turn the caps lock off.

These cars have not had a characteristic of PCM failure. Double check the power feed to the trans. Check all the fuses that supply power to the trans. Check the brake switch, and have it scanned for codes and post back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts