Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a new-to-me 2019 Chevrolet Impala Premier 3.6L! It only has 38k miles on it. I used to have a 2002 Impala 3.8L LS (hit 220k before the original 4T65e trans failed) before, so I know what commonly goes bad on those cars and I can watch out, but this car is so new I'm not sure what are common problems.

My question is, what are common problems on tenth generation 3.6L-powered Impalas that I should watch out for? And around what mileage does it happen?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
73 Posts
First what is YOUR year of YOUR Chevy Impala?

Second, does your transmission have "PRNDM" on the shifter (like the image below)?

The "M" stands for Manual Mode. On the top of your shifter you should see a "+" / "-" ... When your on bad roads, especially in a front wheel drive car, this mode helps me out greatly when I need to slow my car down faster (for example) during Black Ice or other bad road conditions.

Most newer Chevy Impalas have the "V-Tech" engine / transmission installed within the cars today. (In dicated by the "M" on the dashboard.)

The V-Tech engines are rock solid engines. I was driving one day & applying the brakes I knocked my shifter into reverse! I thought I destroyed my engine because I am going forward & I look at my dask board an I see this "R" blinking red on my dashboard (the red) indicating I was in reverse & blinking meaning I was going forward. As I was pressing on the gas I realized I was not going anywhere (I thought I lost power), but unbeknownst at that time the computer was smart enough to NOT engage the transmission & I was able to safely put it back into Drive & all was fine. But I use the Manual Mode a lot more than I thought I would...

I also bought a 2014 Chevy Impala with low milage on the engine back in 2016. It had right around 38k on the engine, like yours. The first oil change I did was I went to Walmart & purchased either Mobile One's 5w-20 Full Synthetic oil or other 5w-20 (0w-20 Full Synthetic CAN be used as an alternative depending upon the climate you have your car in) Full Synthetic oil that is on sale.

Full Synthetic oil helps better with the wear & tear on the engine... HOWEVER! Once you start with full synthetic oil you need to continue with full synthetic oil.

My car has 160k on it now and is 6 years old. I have been doing the regular maintenance on it since I got it and had no problems so far with my Chevy.

Every ~5,000 Miles : Change Synthetic 5W-20 oil
Every 50,000 Miles : Change Transmission Oil
Every 100,000 Miles: Change Spark Plugs
Every 50,000 Miles : Change air & cabin filters

This is what I do & I have yet to see an issue.

One more thing that I additionally do is that I only use one two additives ever in my car the first is Lucas Oil's 5,000 mile fuel injector cleaner & when warrented a bottle of STP Anti-freeze gas treatment (to remove excess water from the gas tank) so that my car gets a little better milage per gallon of gas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I just bought a new-to-me Chevrolet Impala Premier 3.6L! It only has 38k miles on it. I used to have a 2002 Impala 3.8L LS (hit 220k before the original 4T65e trans failed) before, so I know what commonly goes bad on those cars and I can watch out, but this car is so new I'm not sure what are common problems.

My question is, what are common problems on tenth generation 3.6L-powered Impalas that I should watch out for? And around what mileage does it happen?

Thanks in advance! View attachment 164041

I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ, purchased new. Previously owned 2008, 2011, and 2012 Impala LTZ models - also purchased new.

One common problem is the rubber accordion connector, between the air box and throttle body, tends to split at the folds - examine closely. Easy to replace.

The front door check-straps tend to break or wear out quickly. Easy to change, but the door panel must be removed.

Here is a link to an excellent article on how to change the cabin HVAC air filter: 2014 Impala cabin filter replacement

Post #3 states they use 5W20 oil - this is not recommend by GM for the 3.6 V-6 engine, 5-W-30 Dexos certified is.

Welcome and enjoy your vehicle. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum - if you have questions or problems, please post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats! To my knowledge some have complained about rough shifting, often from 2-3. My impala 2018LT was purchased at 36K and had that issue too (not serious, just feeling not great). I also expericed exactly same thing on a 2019 Premium with only 10K on it. Because of some noise from the transmission I had my impala serviced under warranty and therefore had all transmission fruid replaced. Since then the shifting has been very smooth. So I guess it's wise to change transmission fluid sooner than what GM advises.
Another issue I experienced was the rear shock absorber. The car seemed shaking too much and was making me a little dizzy sometimes (some also compalined the car is rough riding, see here). I had both rear shock absorbers replaced with new OEM ones at 40K and it runs much more stable and comfortable now. It's a fairly easy job that I did myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ, purchased new. Previously owned 2008, 2011, and 2012 Impala LTZ models - also purchased new.

One common problem is the rubber accordion connector, between the air box and throttle body, tends to split at the folds - examine closely. Easy to replace.

The front door check-straps tend to break or wear out quickly. Easy to change, but the door panel must be removed.

Here is a link to an excellent article on how to change the cabin HVAC air filter: 2014 Impala cabin filter replacement

Post #3 states they use 5W20 oil - this is not recommend by GM for the 3.6 V-6 engine, 5-W-30 Dexos certified is.

Welcome and enjoy your vehicle. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum - if you have questions or problems, please post.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Congrats! To my knowledge some have complained about rough shifting, often from 2-3. My impala 2018LT was purchased at 36K and had that issue too (not serious, just feeling not great). I also expericed exactly same thing on a 2019 Premium with only 10K on it. Because of some noise from the transmission I had my impala serviced under warranty and therefore had all transmission fruid replaced. Since then the shifting has been very smooth. So I guess it's wise to change transmission fluid sooner than what GM advises.
Another issue I experienced was the rear shock absorber. The car seemed shaking too much and was making me a little dizzy sometimes (some also compalined the car is rough riding, see here). I had both rear shock absorbers replaced with new OEM ones at 40K and it runs much more stable and comfortable now. It's a fairly easy job that I did myself.

Here is a link to the TSB for the rough shifting (this is not a recall): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173387-9999.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank you! You had one of the most helpful responses. I already know air filter and cabin filter knowledge from being a lube tech for 2 years, so I'm not worried about that. ALSO, I already have 6 quarts of Amsoil Signature Series 5W30, the Amsoil EaO17 oil filter, and 2 gallons of Amsoil Signature Series Dexron VI ATF. I plan on replacing both fluids soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts