Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2000 Chevrolet Impala a 3.6 V6 automatic transmission. For the pa s month or so I have been noticing a high pitch moaning whine noise coming from under the hood. It seems to be more prevalent when I am making a turn (makes no difference if it is a right or left turn) it can be heard by others since I notice people will look at where this noise is coming from & 9 times out of 10 it is me. At first I thought it might have something to do with the power steering. I began tho king there have been a couple of times when I have not been to kind to the gears &/or transmission. We recently had the engine flushed along with an oil change. The radiator/coolant system had a gunk in the line & our coolant system dashboard light was on most of the time (if it did go out if would come back) I first changed the radiator cap then took it in for the flush & has been like a charm except for this whine when I turn. It might continue to whine once the turn has been completed but will stop. The steering seems a little tighter when driving the car. This is why I thought steering would be the problem instead of the much dreaded transmission failure. I am at a loss of what the problem could be since the auto shop I take the car to I just feel the service as well as the information I am getting from them leads me to feeling that I might be someone who is due to my lack of knowledge could be taken advantage of. It was suggested to have a second opinion only being on fixed income that isn't always a feasible remedy for me. Please any idea of what this could be? I did see the blog about whining coming from the engine when it was being driven with no comments as to it being a problem during turns. So I assumed this was occurring when the car was just being driven. I do not have a diagnostic tool to see what calibrator code comes from the diagnosis. As I mentioned previously I'm on a fixed income. I also had the serpentine (?) belt replaced the same time as the flush. Any possible ideas on this high pitched moaning whine & what I can do about it. Your suggestions would be great!y appreciated. Being new to this as well as a woman ( but don't hold that against me) I might have put this post in the wrong place. Oops !!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have a 2000 Chevrolet Impala a 3.6 V6 automatic transmission. For the pa s month or so I have been noticing a high pitch moaning whine noise coming from under the hood. It seems to be more prevalent when I am making a turn (makes no difference if it is a right or left turn) it can be heard by others since I notice people will look at where this noise is coming from & 9 times out of 10 it is me. At first I thought it might have something to do with the power steering. I began tho king there have been a couple of times when I have not been to kind to the gears &/or transmission. We recently had the engine flushed along with an oil change. The radiator/coolant system had a gunk in the line & our coolant system dashboard light was on most of the time (if it did go out if would come back) I first changed the radiator cap then took it in for the flush & has been like a charm except for this whine when I turn. It might continue to whine once the turn has been completed but will stop. The steering seems a little tighter when driving the car. This is why I thought steering would be the problem instead of the much dreaded transmission failure. I am at a loss of what the problem could be since the auto shop I take the car to I just feel the service as well as the information I am getting from them leads me to feeling that I might be someone who is due to my lack of knowledge could be taken advantage of. It was suggested to have a second opinion only being on fixed income that isn't always a feasible remedy for me. Please any idea of what this could be? I did see the blog about whining coming from the engine when it was being driven with no comments as to it being a problem during turns. So I assumed this was occurring when the car was just being driven. I do not have a diagnostic tool to see what calibrator code comes from the diagnosis. As I mentioned previously I'm on a fixed income. I also had the serpentine (?) belt replaced the same time as the flush. Any possible ideas on this high pitched moaning whine & what I can do about it. Your suggestions would be great!y appreciated. Being new to this as well as a woman ( but don't hold that against me) I might have put this post in the wrong place. Oops !!

Chevrolet did not use a 3.6 V-6 engine in the 2000 Impala. Most likely you have the 3.8 V-6.

Paragraph breaks would be your friend.

Your power steering fluid is low. Remove the engine coolant reservoir and move to the side, remove the power steering pump cap and check the power steering fluid. It is difficult to check and if fluid is needed, you will need a thin, long-neck funnel to add fluid. Read your vehicle owner’s manual for the correct fluid to use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts