Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I just got an 06 Impala LS with a 3.5L/V6. The water temp gage is acting strange. When I'm driving I see small spikes in the temperature just above the midline of the gage. The needle rises then drops back to the middle of the gage. But sometimes it will show a big spike close to the red line, and once it went into the red with alarms sounding, and stayed for about 2 or 3 minuets, then dropped back to normal.

I checked under the hood and it hadn't boiled over, and the car seems to operate normally, except for the temperature spikes. I also noticed that the temp gage shows the engine is warm on start up after ten hours. Has anyone else had a problem like this and is it a wiring issue or just the sensor sending bad info.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Sounds more like a faulty sensor or sensor wire to gauge. Find and remove the senosr wire from the sending unit and see what that does, it should go completly cold. You may even wiggle the sensor wire and have someone watch the gage and see if it spikes as the wires are moved, which would indicate a short in the sensor wire.

Hope this helps you. Kenny

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like the cooling system needs burped to get the air out.
It will cause the temp sensor to act goofy as the air passes by the sensor.

But then again it is showing warm after alot of hours sitting,so you could have a high resistance issue in the circuit or a faulty temp sensor more than likely.
What are the fans doing? They are controlled by the same sensor/switch that goes to the gauge usually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts