Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 SS with 28k on it. When im driving it i hear a noise when im at a certian speed and when i let go of the gas pedel. At first i thought it was my exhaust but thats not it. It sounds like something is rattling but when i give it a little gas it goes away, then a minuet later it comes back.. its irrating. Everything is stock on my car, and i still have my powertrain warranty. anyone is familier with this problem or know what it is?

thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
mmm, thats odd because I just noticed a sound coming from my car when I go over 20 mph. it sounds like a fast ticking sound. i think it may be something on the wheel hub or brakes.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
LOL sorry couldnt resist... in my defense, my response was as specific and detailed as your question.

From the little info you gave, my first guess would be to check the pulleys for the AC condesor. You said it only makes noise when you drive?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL sorry couldnt resist... in my defense, my response was as specific and detailed as your question.

From the little info you gave, my first guess would be to check the pulleys for the AC condesor. You said it only makes noise when you drive?
yeah, its fine parked. just when i move around 40+ it does it, then push on the gas a little then it goes away, then it comes back. My buddy was behind me at a stop light, then when i went he said it sounded like shit. Hope this is under my power train lol.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Thats a weird one... probablly going to need more info to get a valid response though. Where does the noise sound like its coming from? ANy potential to pull a sound clip?

What makes you think its not the exhaust?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have a 07 SS with 28k on it. When im driving it i hear a noise when im at a certian speed and when i let go of the gas pedel. At first i thought it was my exhaust but thats not it. It sounds like something is rattling but when i give it a little gas it goes away, then a minuet later it comes back.. its irrating. Everything is stock on my car, and i still have my powertrain warranty. anyone is familier with this problem or know what it is?

thanks
Being that you are still under warranty, I would recommend that you contact your local dealership for more information. They should be able to assist you with a diagnosis. I can also look into this further with the VIN and current mileage. Feel free to contact me via private message as well. Keep me posted.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Tricia,

That is a good recommendation, however I would like to know your thoughts on the following:

Typically, whenever Ive had a car out of its Bumper to bumper warranty, but still within its powertrain, I usually get the runaround at the dealer, something to the tune of "sure, we will take a look... but if its determined that its not covered under powertrain warranty, then we are going to charge you a $1XX diagnostic fee"

For those of us who dont want to risk dropping $1XX to just have some tech LOOK at our cars, what do you recommend? Are GM dealerships allowed to operate like that?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats a weird one... probablly going to need more info to get a valid response though. Where does the noise sound like its coming from? ANy potential to pull a sound clip?

When i stick my head out of the window it sounds like its coming from the back. But my boy said its something under neath the hood such as the pully or something else. ill see if i can make a sound clip but its a light sound and im not sure if youll be able to hear it. I will try this week, if not im going to take it to the dealership, and ill let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ok i think i got it. Its the DOD thing i believe. I posted this on LS1 tech and they said to try this technique. when im in 4cyl mode it rattles a bit, but when i come to a stop to 8cyl mode it stops. when im crusing around 40 in 4cly and when i hear it i tap on the gas and when it turns to 8 it stops the same time it turns to that mode, so im guessing its that..

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Probablly a good theory... a good way to test is to leave your car in gear select 3, which will leave it in 8 cyl mode. Im sure after only 5 minutes of driving youll be able to tell if the issue is still there or not.

Please let us know how you make out

·
Registered
954 Posts
Tricia,

That is a good recommendation, however I would like to know your thoughts on the following:

Typically, whenever Ive had a car out of its Bumper to bumper warranty, but still within its powertrain, I usually get the runaround at the dealer, something to the tune of "sure, we will take a look... but if its determined that its not covered under powertrain warranty, then we are going to charge you a $1XX diagnostic fee"

For those of us who dont want to risk dropping $1XX to just have some tech LOOK at our cars, what do you recommend? Are GM dealerships allowed to operate like that?
I do recommend that the vehicle be taken to the dealership. It is possible that you would be charged a diagnostic fee. That fee would depend on the dealer being that they are independently owned and operated. If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts