Impala Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dome light only works when the car is turned off and any said door is open. If I turn on the car, the dome light turns off. With the car on, I've messed with all switches and doors and I just can't get it to come on when the car is on.

I just want to be able to open the car door at night and have the map light and dome light illuminate my interior. I've had the car for 7 years and no ever sits in the back and I rarely ever use that light but it's got to the point where i kinda just want it fixed but I won't die if it doesn't get fixed.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
My dome light only works when the car is turned off and any said door is open. If I turn on the car, the dome light turns off. With the car on, I've messed with all switches and doors and I just can't get it to come on when the car is on.

I just want to be able to open the car door at night and have the map light and dome light illuminate my interior. I've had the car for 7 years and no ever sits in the back and I rarely ever use that light but it's got to the point where i kinda just want it fixed but I won't die if it doesn't get fixed.

Is there any type of small switch on the lamp assembly, which can cause the operation you describe?

Have you read the vehicle owner’s manual, and checked the vehicle settings for lighting in the DIC?

I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ with the large sunroof / panoramic glass and it only has two small interior map lamps above the front dash / console. The interior overhead lighting is very poor for a high-end vehicle.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Weird, I have a 2015 Impala 2LT and the lighting is just fine. it has 2 overhead lights in front of the sunroof and 2 in the backseat. You can't see the ones in the backseat from the driver seat which is cool because if they are turned on they won't glare. You do see the rear seat lit up, just not the glare.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. I took a good look at the dome light assembly and there is no switch on it. There's just 2 lights and a push button next to each to turn it on and off independently if the rear passengers want.

I have also looked through the infotainment settings and nothing comes up having to do with the dome light. My 2 Map lights up front work as intended since day 1 but the dome light is just weird.

My interior map light and dome light happen to be very bright white and they have been like that since I purchased the car, never changed them and I never even popped off that dome light assembly. I will definitely skim through thr owners manual to see if I find something.
White Product Font Material property Parallel

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. I took a good look at the dome light assembly and there is no switch on it. There's just 2 lights and a push button next to each to turn it on and off independently if the rear passengers want.

I have also looked through the infotainment settings and nothing comes up having to do with the dome light. My 2 Map lights up front work as intended since day 1 but the dome light is just weird.

My interior map light and dome light happen to be very bright white and they have been like that since I purchased the car, never changed them and I never even popped off that dome light assembly. I will definitely skim through thr owners manual to see if I find something. View attachment 165624

My 2014 Impala 2LTZ has a rocker switch in the ceiling, by the two map lights (front of car). I have always thought the operation of it was confusing, and could easily be “bumped” when using the push-to-operate map lights. (Shown on page 168 of your manual post).

Could this switch be in the wrong position?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I've messed with that switch between the 2 map lights that say 'door, on and off' and it only works correctly for the map light, the dome light doesn't do anything when in any of the 3 positions. The only way I have been able to make the dome light come on is with the engine completely off and any of the 4 doors open.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Where is this dome light you are speaking about? If I remember right, all I have in the front is the 2 reading lights that act as the dome light when both of them come on.
The only other lights on the headliner are the rear reading lights. The rears come on as well when acting as a dome light.
Mine looks just like your manual pic and I don't see any separate dome light on it either.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, we are talking about the same lights, the manual calls them rear reading lights but I just call them dome lights. I always have the switch set to 'door' and at night when I open any door the front reading (map) lights come on but the rear ones dont they never have since I bought the car.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I just went out and checked. I have the 3 way switch always on the "door position"
I hit the remote unlock button and the front and rear reading lights come on.
With the car off I open a door and the front and rear reading lights come on.
I turn on the car and open the door and the front and rear reading lights come on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's exactly how its intended to work but my rear reading lights seem to be glitched into the matrix. Just a couple of pointers too, I do have an aftermarket Viper alarm on my car but this problem has existed before and after the alarm. I've also had an audio system in my car and most recently my car was at the dealer for an electrical problem that they WERE able to fix but after I got it back I started thinking about my reading lights and how they have never worked as intended.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts