Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the water pump on my LS 3.8, and ended up snapping one of the smaller bolts. The car is driveable, but I have a slight leak in that area. Problem I'm running into is that I cannot find anywhere to buy a replacement bolt! I guess I could grab a few from the junkyard, but for bolts like this I'd rather buy new. Any help on finding these?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I had to replace the water pump on my LS 3.8, and ended up snapping one of the smaller bolts. The car is driveable, but I have a slight leak in that area. Problem I'm running into is that I cannot find anywhere to buy a replacement bolt! I guess I could grab a few from the junkyard, but for bolts like this I'd rather buy new. Any help on finding these?
A junkyard bolt will be fine. They don't see any sort of high stress that might affect them adversely.

For new ones, take one out and go to the parts store and match it up. As I recall, these are not very large, somewhere in the range 4-6 mm in diameter by less than 1" long. You should be able to match it from the nut/bolt display at the parts store. The only issue will be corrosion, whether the new bolt will resist rusting as well as the stock one. Many of the ones I see at part stores are anodized, and should hold up well.

One other thought, if the bolt being replaced has a flange on it and you can't find a new one with a flange, you will need to put a washer on it, so make sure you pick up a pack of matching washers with the bolts.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Usually have pretty good luck with our motor parts and bearing store here(a napa store) for finding bolts. But would not be afraid of using a bolt from a salvage yard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts