Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to paint my front bumper on my '94 Caprice because the paint looks bad. The structure is fine it's in good condition but I need to do something about the paint but really want to spend as little money as possible? Macco? I know that place is a joke but I mean think about it.. it will look better than it does now and since I don't want to spend a lot money perhaps I should consider it?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Get some factory matched paint, remove bumper, sand with 500grit first, then 1k grit, prime it, paint it, wet sand with 1-2k grit, and clear coat. Wet sand again and polish out the fine scratches. The key to a good paint job is prep and keeping the surface clean and smooth. Between supplies and paint you should be able to do it for under $50

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know dude I'd love to paint my own bumper. Seriously. But what about the paint and getting it to blend in with my car's paint. Meaning my car isn't new so the paint is a bit faded overall on just about all the car. So if I got the factory paint from GM or wherever the paint would not look the same as my faded paint. Go to a paint shop to get them to make some paint for me?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
You could have a color mixed by a body shop but then, you would have to use an hvlp sprayer along with a moisture drier. And if your gonna do that you might as well just have a body shop do it.

Wait: Your worried about matching colors when your rear bumper is clearly a different shade than your trunk? At least that's how it looks from your avatar pic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i think it looks like that because the sun was going down when i took that pic? but yes def yeah the rear bumper is pretty damn good looking actually compared to the rest of the car but nah that's just the pic if u see it in person it doesn't look that much different. but yea ha anyways yeah i still want the front bumper to look good. meaning having it look kinda faded so it matches the rest of the car. the back bumper does look a little better tho ur right good eye

would love to get the whole car repainted but i don't believe i can afford to do it at the moment

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yeah unfortunately a whole new paint job (done correctly which requires just about everything taken off) is NOT cheap. An easy $3k for a paint job. If you pay any less the job was not done correctly. Who wants to see the old color inside the door jambs and under the hood, right?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right! Haha.. And 3k that's more than I spent on my ride I only spent $2500 lol. So yeah I'm trying to go as cheap as possible pretty much.. I'll go get some quotes from the body and paint shops around here. Thx for the help tho bro stay in touch yo and we can help each other out with car stuff some more

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Right! Haha.. And 3k that's more than I spent on my ride I only spent $2500 lol. So yeah I'm trying to go as cheap as possible pretty much.. I'll go get some quotes from the body and paint shops around here. Thx for the help tho bro stay in touch yo and we can help each other out with car stuff some more
Heck ya for sure bro. Just be sure to tell the autobody shop exactly what you want done (matched to the faded color). Otherwise they will just grab the color code and spray it. Matching it will cost a little more but, prob worth it for you.

I just friend requested you

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fasheezy I'll keep ya posted on what the prices are

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
fasheezy I'll keep ya posted on what the prices are
10-4 I would be interested as I have never had a bodyshop do work for me

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol I could have the front bumper done with brand new factory paint so it matched up with the rear bumper haha i wonder how that'd look

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I don't know but, from what you said it's not faded like the rest so, I would match the color. I would ask the body shop's opinion. See what they think is reasonable to do. To difficult for me to say as I haven't seen it in person.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol no i'm jk around man. i want it to match the rest of the faded paint the rear bumper is bad enough as it is but it is what it is

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
lol no i'm jk around man. i want it to match the rest of the faded paint the rear bumper is bad enough as it is but it is what it is
Gotcha! Wasn't sure if you were joking or not

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
aye i found a pic that shows what i'm talking about where the rear bumper's paint doesn't stand out so much i'll send a pm

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
still is a bit darker tho i know i know but like i said it is what it is

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ I hear you bro! There are plenty of body imperfections on my car that I would love to take care of but, my car see's weather year round so, it wouldn't be worth it. Although, I have repainted my bumper's and this summer will repaint my hood. My hood is going to need a full sanding though and some body filler for some small dents. That's a project in itself!

For a 94' she's in great shape! Keep up on the maint and she will remain

LOL about the stang. No thanks I am poor for a while. Bill's to pay off

1 - 20 of 29 Posts