Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i picked up a 95 Wagon today with the woodgrain sides and the metal woodgrain trim is driving me nuts already cuz its peeling and looks crappy. Im either gona remove it and paint the trim and reinstall. any suggestions on removal tools and also best way to get the vinal off without destroying the trim?

Ive seen some members pix after he removed the complete vinal siding and it looked like it pretty much needed a repaint after that. When i change the scheme it will be a full body job. The paneling looks ok and I know it really changes the looks. The woody style kinda works just looks ghetto with the trim peeling.

Thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
OK... let me see if understand...
The woodgrain paneling is ok, but it's peeling off the trim.. correct?
You are debating whether to just take the wood grain off the trim or take off all the woodgrain... correct?

If you remove all the woodgrain, there are about 100 holes that have to be filled and the areas around the door handles and gas tank door areas are painted with brown paint. If you are not into a body work and a repaint, skips this idea.

You can remove the woodgrain from the trim. I THINK that a brass wire wheel would work without leaving too many marks on the underlying stainless steel, but you might want to try a 3M Stripe Eraser wheel first and see if that will work. You can leave the trim shiny or paint it to make it less noticable. WARNING: Some [all?] of the corner pieces are plastic and must be stripped differently. The 3M wheel might here; not sure what others have used. There are chrome paints that could help make the corners look more like the other trim for the "bare" look or just paint to match if painting the trim.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. Im eventually going to do a complete paint job and at that time i will remove all the woodgrain paneling vinal by sanding it down. But for now I am having trouble removing the clips that hold the metal trim on. I would like to remove the trim, spray it with paint and reinstall for now cuz the peeling sticker vinal is making me nuts and ive had the car twelve hours!!

So... is there a trim removal tool of some sort to pull the clips off, and are the clips a standard part for body trim or specialty for these models?

Also, the lower chrome / black rub rail trim looks pretty shitty also. I have googled replacemnts but cant find it. Not sure what to do there.. I may just end up tearing off all the trim for now and filling the holes and airbrushing a pinstripe graphic type look.

Thanks for you input, just trying to make it look decent for the time being before I do the complete repaint.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the vinal siding tip!

I found a door panel remover to get the trim moulding clips off and its working ok. I got one piece off and tried a brass wheel to sand off the moulding sticker. Not going so well :confused:

Im thinking the moulding has to go. Its going to be way too timely sanding all the moulding. Some of the clips have holes and some have small nipple studs. I found some 3/4 chrome molding at checker to replace the old moulding but the nipple studs are in the way. I tried drilling small recessed holes in the back of the moulding so I could leave the studs but that aint working either.

Im just trying to get away without doing a complete paint job rite now. The base white is in pretty good shape. I may cut off the nipples and say F it. Fill the holes and so some airbrushing or pinstripe where the old molding was.

Thanks again for all your input guys!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow that looks good. Are you saying use a chemical remover to take off the sticker all the way down to the aluminum? then clean it up and buff it out?

OR. try removing the sticker with heat then use the chemical to get the glue off then buff em out?

Buickestate how did you do that and how long did it take you assuming you did the whole car? Also, were you able to find any replacement clips for the molding? where?

I tried the brass wheel on a small spot and it scratched it up pretty deep.:frown:
Thanks!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update!

Ok change of plans. Thanks much for the input but I removed the pass. sidemolding a few clips broke from age and the whole side had the nipples and a few holes. After trying everything to strip the vynal off i gave up. really dont have the time plus im going to shave it when i do the paint in the future anyway.
Hit auto zone and got pretty ghetto with some 3M 3/4 chrome molding for the transition of the paneling im leaving for now. It looks ok and not too much different than the oem polished. Its only got last a year or so til i repaint it. I kinda like the woody prostreet look but everyone that sees it dont get it. they just say "it has paneling?"

My new disfunctional family truckster.

Thanks again for the input.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think there's some missing posts or I'm not understanding what you're referring to on some points but... I just did this on my woody, removed the wood veneer, the woodgrain trim and the belt line moldings for a custom paint/wood scheme. It wasn't hard at all, I only spent about 2-3 hours total [1 side] on trim removal and 80% of wood veneer removal. The trim comes right off after removing and nuts, simply by pulling/prying lightly then any clips slide off. The wood veneer comes off well with a good hand held heater [like a hair dryer but more intense~body shop specific], just heat, pull, heat another section, pull...etc... with little glue residue. Yes, removing the trim leaves many holes and trim mounting studs and I haven't dealt with that yet but its not all that bad. I tape and primered [white primer] the area around the front door handle and the overspray below the fuel door where the factory applies a tan background in those areas. If you look close you'll see that I shortened the rear most woodgrain trim directly above the remaining woodgrain veneer. The graphic was taped and painted on. I actually may sell it after having 1 side started with my paint scheme but just not sure yet??

Ignore the camera date ~ just taken a few days ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts