Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have '16 LT Limited with 17's

I bought it with 18,000 miles about 2 years ago, it now has 37K.
Recently it has developed a vibration problem. I have had two tire rotations, 2 wheel balances, have had the car thoroughly inspected for suspension problems, steering problems, etc, by three different shops. Tire place found that one of the tires was out of round, and I also had a bent rim. Got the rim fixed. And finally replaced all 4 tires. The car still vibrates. And it's not felt in the steering wheel. It's felt under the seats and the passenger seat back will actually shake...but this does not always happen. It seems to happen on certain stretches of highway and does not always happen every time I drive on that same stretch of highway.

It's been driving me insane! Every time I drive the car I try to convince myself that it must just be the road, but sometimes I don't notice the vibration, and other times it's there!

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, is this something that occurs with this gen of Impala?? I had a 2000 and I don't remember this ever happening. Or maybe I am just insane, and it's just bad roads that I'm driving on?

Any advice would be much appreciated! This has been going on for three months now, and I am ready to trade the car in for something new.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Welcome to the Impala Forum!
Does it vibrate under acceleration, normal driving going down the road, or coasting? Or all 3? If it vibrates more under certain conditions, that would make it easier to diagnose.
I know it seems premature, but a shock could possibly be going bad.
Also a 4 wheel alignment couldn’t hurt after replacing what you have replaced.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
For what it's worth, I believe that it's "normal" for the passenger seat back to vibrate a little at highway speeds (when nobody is sitting in it). Mine has always done that. Not sure if the seatback is just designed to be too loose or what... I honeslty don't even notice anymore.

Others with 8th gens - does your passenger seat back vibrate at highway speeds? I seem to remember this being "normal" on these cars, but just want to make sure... :)

My next step would probably be an alignment if you have vibration problems besides the passenger seat back though...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
:laugh
Hi Folks,

I have '16 LT Limited with 17's

I bought it with 18,000 miles about 2 years ago, it now has 37K.
Recently it has developed a vibration problem. I have had two tire rotations, 2 wheel balances, have had the car thoroughly inspected for suspension problems, steering problems, etc, by three different shops. Tire place found that one of the tires was out of round, and I also had a bent rim. Got the rim fixed. And finally replaced all 4 tires. The car still vibrates. And it's not felt in the steering wheel. It's felt under the seats and the passenger seat back will actually shake...but this does not always happen. It seems to happen on certain stretches of highway and does not always happen every time I drive on that same stretch of highway.

It's been driving me insane! Every time I drive the car I try to convince myself that it must just be the road, but sometimes I don't notice the vibration, and other times it's there!

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, is this something that occurs with this gen of Impala?? I had a 2000 and I don't remember this ever happening. Or maybe I am just insane, and it's just bad roads that I'm driving on?

Any advice would be much appreciated! This has been going on for three months now, and I am ready to trade the car in for something new.

I have owned 2008, 2011 & 2012 Impala LTZ models. None had a vibration. I now own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ (new model) and it does not have a vibration.

Poor suspension alignment will not cause a vibration - but it will cause uneven tire wear. You mentioned you had a bent rim fixed. Did you replace the rim with a new rim, or buy a reconditioned rim (which may not have been repaired well). I suspect that if you hit something to bend a rim, you may also have suspension damage - such as a bad tire rod end, ball joint loose, sway bar bent, etc.

I good shop can inspect your suspension. Did you buy quality tires? It is possible you received one or more tires that are causing the vibration, although the wheel and tire has been balanced.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I have *defintiely* had an alignment cure vibration-related issues before, so it's defintiely possible.

It's usually free to get an alignment check, so it can't hurt and can only help, especially since he seems to have looked into everything obvious (balancing, tires, wheels, etc)...

OP - does the vibration get any better or worse when braking? Or is it the same regardless of braking?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Only times on our 2012 lt we have had any noticeable vibration has been either bad roads or a tire out of balance. Have never paid any attention to notice the passenger seat back vibrating while driving, so cannot say whether it does or doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Next time you are out on the highway and nobody is in the passenger seat, take a look and you'll see the seat back vibrating/moving. Like I said, I think that is considered normal though and I've heard of that complaint about a lot of cars, so I don't think it's unique to the Impala...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Drove our Impala yesterday and paid attention to the back seat and there was no vibration. Never noticed it on any other cars I've had either except for a 67 Mustang.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts