Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I'm awaiting the delivery of my new SS, I'm pondering the question of whether or not to go for the dealer-applied paint protection, undercoating & leather treatment. My gut reation is to say "no" to all of these upcharges on a modern vehicle, but I was just wondering if anyone out there has a good reason for spending the additional several hundred dollars for any of this stuff?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Nothing protects paint from rocks and debris. They tried to get me with the undercoating but couldn't explain to me what it did, so if you can please tell me. As far as the "leather treatment" go to autozone or whatever car stores you have around you and buy yourself a $15 conditioner bottle.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Undercoating does at least two things, 1) helps protect the undercarriage from road salt that otherwise would create rust. 2) it helps to deaden road noise sound.

Up north it would be a great idea to have done, but it should be redone before each winter. That will help the car last longer. Here in Texas the only real benefit would be the road noise reduction, but that only would be maybe 4-10 percent reduction.

I have worked on an 98 Olds Cutlass from Michigan and it has like 4 times more rust than my 32 year old Impala does on the undercarriage. And the Olds was never undercoated, of course neither has my Impala.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Total waste of money. I was in the auto industry @ 20 years ago and its just overpriced junk that does nothing and if applied improperly can actually create problems. Todays cars use galvanized teel and clearcoat paint methods. dont waste the money and wax the car yourself. Undercoating is totally useless...hope you didnt spend the extra bucks!

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Total waste of money. I was in the auto industry @ 20 years ago and its just overpriced junk that does nothing and if applied improperly can actually create problems. Todays cars use galvanized teel and clearcoat paint methods. dont waste the money and wax the car yourself. Undercoating is totally useless...hope you didnt spend the extra bucks!

So you are telling people to wax the underside of the car? Because the question was not about paint, it was about undercoating. Undercoating will protect you from rust, not completely but enough to pay some money for. (To the original poster) Use common sense, as some replies to your original question will be oddball/unhelpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm welcoming of all responses, regardless of how oddball/unhelpful they may appear. A wide range of opinions is what the internet is all about. In fairness to mrant, I was asking about the entire range of dealer-applied profit enhancers, not just undercoating.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't particularly like undercoating, if not properly applied it can trap moisture underneath and actually accelerate rust. The one exception is the waxy stuff that is applied to German cars from the factory that stuff seems to really work.

I've heard that Krown is another exception but I don't believe it's available outside of Canada.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, as I'm awaiting the delivery of my new SS, I'm pondering the question of whether or not to go for the dealer-applied paint protection, undercoating & leather treatment. My gut reation is to say "no" to all of these upcharges on a modern vehicle, but I was just wondering if anyone out there has a good reason for spending the additional several hundred dollars for any of this stuff?
Are they selling undercoating or rustproofing? Different products. The former involves spraying a black waxy product up on the underside of your car while the latter involves drilling holes in your car and spraying a rustproofing on the inside surface of your car's body panels. The net advantages of either product depends on who does it and how well they do it.

I have lived in Minnesota all my life and know how harsh winters can be around here and I would never/ever consider either one.

It's my understanding that aftermarket rustproofing invalidates the auto manufacturer's already excellent 100,000 mile rust perforation warranty. It makes no sense why a car dealer would sell a product that so negatively effects the manufacturer's warranty :confused:

Regarding paint sealant, I personally would want anyone messing with my new cars paint job. If you really see the need, research all the aftermarket products/systems available and do it yourself. No one is going to treat your new ride as well as you would.

IMHO these extra cost pre-delivery services are useless and pure dealer profit. If you remember they used to offer Scotch Gard fabric protector for hundreds of dollars while you could do it yourself for $15.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts