Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if it is possible to swap a 7th Generation Impala's engine with a V8 engine, like the LT1 (from the 6th gen) or the LS4 (from the 8th gen).

If so, I'd like to know if anyone has ever heard of someone doing that and the costs and results of doing so.

Just FYI, I'm not planning on doing that to mine, at least, not anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
LS4 Is possible, but expensive, the LT1 (you'd be better off w/ the LS1) both LT1/LSx cranks are 13mm LONGER than the LS4, they had to modify the LS1 for the orig prototype LS1 SS in 2000ish when the made it (google it you'll find it). It'll be cheaper to just buy a complete 2005 GP GTP drop out (l32 genV blower 3800) and have someone prog the PCM for you. Not to mention I'm not sure it the LSx blocks will bolt to our (or the 4t80e) trannys. I'll let you know when i pull my trans the winter ;).
Short answer, anything is possible if money is no option. It would be less expensive to build a 12sec 3800 than it would to drop in a LS1 into our cars.

The Ls4, i'm guessing would be in upwards of $5k easily.... for that price you can buy a Cartuning IC turbo kit, and a fresh L26 engine to run w/ it, and be in the 12s all day

www.cartuning.ca

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
meh. Considering that you can get an 2004 SS with all the options and badges and stuff for like 13K, its not exactly worth it.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/856179026.html

I paid like 5 grand for this car, plus another 4 it'd be 9. to get leather seats, CD player, rims, badges, bumpers, spoiler, etc, it'll probably add up to almost the same amount.

Last question: Is an LA1 worth tuning? How far can you push it? What are my options and what results can I expect?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
not really... honestly you'd prob be better off using it as a DD and grab an 04+ ss or gp gt (04gtp 05 gt have the 3800sc) /regal gs you can get a pcm/headers/few other toys, but you'll be stuck in the hi 15 sec range (1/4 mi) until you add boost/no2

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
high 15s is quite sad. These cars bone stock run 16s. guess i'll just do a few slight mods and make sure i wont spend a fortune on it.

if i ever intend to keep this car as a DD and get another car for drag racing, i'd probably look for a 4th gen camaro. I always had a thing for them.

and thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took my wifes '04 LS down the local 1/8th mile strip before.
IIRC it ran like a 10.30 or so bone stock with just a K&N drop in filter that was dirty :D
My buddy is the announcer at the track and needed someone to take a run real quick to take up time while the next round was staging due to some backup in the return road.
Raced my buddies new 07 Ford 500 rental w/3.0 DOHC i think it was,he got the jump and the 60ft but I took the final light by a foot or so.
He had AWD and I started to spin and triggered traction control which killed my spark.
Always remember to turn OFF TC,lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts