Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else (during the winter) seeing their engine coolant temperature max out at around 177°F or so when driving?

I've seen mine only go to 179°F or 181°F briefly while driving (even on a 40+ mile trip), but not higher - outdoor temps usually are around 40°F or lower this time of year.

After a short drive of about 5 miles, I pulled into the garage (unheated, around 47°F inside according to the ambient temp sensor) and let the car idle. The temperature readout on the DIC slowly inched its way upward and got to 192°F after about 5 minutes idling before I shut down, which is closer to what I believe should be the normal engine operating temp.

My 2013 didn't have a DIC readout for coolant temperature so I have nothing to compare it to, but if the engine isn't reaching its "normal" temperature while driving that might be why my 2015 MPG is lower than my old 2013.

Does anyone else see this behavior? What is the normal operating temp for the 3.6L? Should i block off part of the radiator grille or just let it go until warmer weather and see what happens? :dunno:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sounds normal? I have some pictures of the dash and it's below 1/2 on gauge.

182F stands out in my mind at the gas station when I'm flipping through the DIC.

Don't worry about it... You should be throwing lots of interior heat anyways and be nice and toasty.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The car comes with a 180 degree thermostat. So those temps are normal for a car in motion with lots of airflow through the radiator. At idle with no airflow other than what the fan is pulling could cause the temp to rise a little bit above that.

But 180 is the temp the engine designed to run at. Trying to make it run hotter constantly would most likely be a bad idea.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I suppose with the 11.5:1 compression, the engine is designed to run cooler.

The last car I had with a DIC readout for coolant temperature was a 2.2L Cobalt and it ran at a consistent 189°F, but that was an entirely different animal (port-injected 4-banger with lower compression).

I'm pretty sure they used to list specs like these in the manuals of days past for people who replaced their own parts... sometimes even recommending different thermostats for Canada versus the USA due to climate differences.

I suppose I should spring for the 2015 Impala Helm manuals when they become available next month.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I love in miami Florida where the temp outaide is usually high and the air flow to my radiator is fairly limited and i have seen my coolant temp as high as 202° is this normal or should i have more air flow so it cold more?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
202F is not anything to worry about. Even in the winter, my coolant can reach temps over 200F.

According to the stock tune file for my 2012, it looks like the cooling fan doesn't even kick on until the coolant reaches 210F (44% fan) - unless using A/C - when A/C is on, at least one of the fans is always running.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Im very curious about how the turn lamps on my impala are suppose to work. Are they suppose to be steadily on at any point or is it only for signaling the turn? I did start a post about this but i looked through all 39 pages of the 9th gen but see no answers. It's driving me crazy. I have the impression that they are suppose to be on constantly while the car is turned on and in motion. Am i right or wrong?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I'm not sure about the 9th gens, but typically, that light is on with the headlights or parking lights. It wouldn't normally be on with the Daytime Running Lights though... Does that help?

·
Registered
99 Posts
It helps me alittle bit because when i bought the car i can swear i remember them being on. I have had the car now for 6 days and those lights don't seem to turn on at all whether night or day. They only turn on when i remote start the car but, when i get in it and confirm the ignition they turn off. I have 14 1ltz. Maybe I'll will need to post pictures to get better help. I appreciate your time!

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Hopefully, someone that owns a 9th gen will chime in - I'm just basing my info on the way my 8th gen (and previous cars) worked. Maybe the 9th gens operate differently.... I'm sure a 9th gen owner will chime in soon enough with more concrete info!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I asked this same thing a month? ago, since I thought that the thermostats have been 195 for a few years, but I guess not now. Mine sits at 181 after it stabilizes. There IS something weird abut the HVAC, and seems to need a higher temp for the defrost as opposed to the vent to get the same warm air. Plus, when you reduce it one or two degrees(NOT in "AUTO" mode), it blows cold air for a little (defrost).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Last night, while in the 30's, I had been driving around for hours. It sat around 175 which seems a little low; to me anyway. I still have to adjust the temp control from 78 down to 66 over time to stay comfortable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2018 temp gauge

my 2018 temp gauge never moves beyond 1/3, mark
never ever gets to 1/2, so ;looked at temp in the DIC.
avg 180, up hill ,ac on, 115 out side, temp got to 205, but gauge still shows 1/3,
its now at the dealer, along with pics of gauge and DIC readout,
suspect temp sender?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
my 2018 temp gauge never moves beyond 1/3, mark
never ever gets to 1/2, so ;looked at temp in the DIC.
avg 180, up hill ,ac on, 115 out side, temp got to 205, but gauge still shows 1/3,
its now at the dealer, along with pics of gauge and DIC readout,
suspect temp sender?
Not sure about the sender. As far as I know, there is only one temp sensor for the LFX 3.6L V6. So the same source data supplies both the DIC and the gauge.

I tried to find a detailed explanation for the gauge operation, but struck out.

Doug

·
Registered
22 Posts
after being at the dealer 5 days

still there, dealer calls , says thats normal, for temp needle not to move, it does go to cold position, then as it warms. it goes to 1/3 position,
even when DIC reads 205, needle is still 1/3,
I took pics to show dealer, they weren't concerned,

so I went to same dealer, looked at a new impala, started it and watched the temp needle climb, sitting there, a/c on, scrolled to DIC. and temp gauges went up as DIC did,
SO, ITS OBVIOUS this dealer is full of shit,

wow, thought they weeded out the flaky dealers,

·
Registered
76 Posts
With an OBD scanner running mine reads just over 200F while driving, normal op temp. but I will say this... On my 2013 GMC if there is any kind of thermostatic failure (yes even too cool) the "engine hot a/c off " light will come on (you read that right, too hot OR too cool), this is instantly noticeable in summer as the car does in fact shut the a/c off... I would imagine this behavior to exist in Impalas as well and it is sensitive, even the wrong temperature thermostat will set it off.

How I found out, I switched from a 180-degree to a 170 one on my GMC.
Again I'm sure the behavior would be there on Impalas so my attitude with this is if it runs, don't fix it.

Also you can turn on your heat at full blast and so long that is coming out the vents HOT I wouldn't worry further.

·
Registered
22 Posts
different dealer

took the car to a different dealer, they agreed , dash gauge is sluggish, and does not show warmer temps, ( like 205 on DIC)
but is within parameters,
we have 20 or so of these in the county fleet, and none over heat, or even come close, so won't worry about it,

yes , it causes concern , but not gonna let it bother the nice ride the car is,
we went to PHX earlier this week and for 470 mi, averaged 34 mpg,

on another note.
windshield is de laminating, has mini bubbles all thru out the windshield, makes night driving fun, like driving in the rain, with NO wipers.
new dealer said they expect to replace windshield. (waiting approval)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts