Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be upgrading a lot of my front end and I can find the parts that say for police and taxi are they the same as ss parts I'm looking at control arms now is the police/taxi control arm swappable onto an ls also which struts ss or police and taxi are better also the rear trailing arms are the ss and police/taxi ones the same basically what I'm wondering is if the police/taxi and ss parts are the same and is it worth spending the extra change on those parts compared to ls parts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Why not just get some zzp control arms?

ZZPerformance - ZZP Control Arms for WBody #ZZ-WBCA

Not sure about the police arms but, assuming they are the same. I believe the only thing different about the police editions is the HD transmission and axles regarding drivetrain.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The only thing different in the 9c1 suspension is the bushings for the LCAs. For the LCAs you can get new from rock auto, you want to look around for different years of the GTPs like 97-03 stiffer bushings. The front sway bar from dorman is the same size as the GMPP sway bar, even better its solid. For the rear control arms the same goes, order dormans, the replacements are solid tube design same as the 9c1. As for struts you can also find them on rock auto, just need to look for police package in the description. :eek:k3:

·
Banned
667 Posts
So I'm going to be upgrading a lot of my front end and I can find the parts that say for police and taxi are they the same as ss parts I'm looking at control arms now is the police/taxi control arm swappable onto an ls also which struts ss or police and taxi are better also the rear trailing arms are the ss and police/taxi ones the same basically what I'm wondering is if the police/taxi and ss parts are the same and is it worth spending the extra change on those parts compared to ls parts
Are you going to get the push bar?

Impala Push Bumper with Wrap Around is cool

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Here's my situation my car is nice but I rode in a police version a couple days ago and it blows my car out of the water in handling it was like it was on rails granted my control arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar, and all four struts need replaced I just wanted to upgrade everything I can to the police quality what else is there handling wise better on the police and as models? Those zzp arms look nice but not for that price haha. I was also considering the front push bar can I use the Ls bumper cover or do I need the police one?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
drop the blues brothers mentality
Until you ride in one don't hate haha they handle so much better. Plus the push bumper is more for purpose then looks I very often push stuff and drive through wooded trails with my car

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The reason you noticed the police car had so much better handling was because they are well maintained, and worn parts get replaced when they get worn. Not because there is something special about it. The reason police suspension is different has nothing to do with handling, it's taller to clear tire chains and curbs better.

Reactions: Dwayne J and Papa D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason you noticed the police car had so much better handling was because they are well maintained, and worn parts get replaced when they get worn. Not because there is something special about it. The reason police suspension is different has nothing to do with handling, it's taller to clear tire chains and curbs better.
They do have solid rear trailing arms and better sway bars than the ls. Are the front control arms the same for ls ss and police? Because I'm seeing different part numbers for all three can you tell me the difference?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
They do have solid rear trailing arms and better sway bars than the ls.
This may be true but, you would still be better off upgrading those with aftermarkets than replacing with factory police components. If you want good handling start off with the basics. Replace trailing arms, lateral links, sway bar links, bushings, struts, etc.. .

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Does the LS have the hollow sway bars? Its probably more comparable to the SS suspension then.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New question I see the rear police window grate like gaurds so you can't get out the windows I would love these for my dog and I can get them pretty cheap from the auction here in town do you all know how they are installed and if I can add them.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Until you ride in one don't hate haha they handle so much better. Plus the push bumper is more for purpose then looks I very often push stuff and drive through wooded trails with my car
Power steering pump seems to have the most effect.
worn out one whines a lot and does not work as efficiently . The handling saw significant improvement after replacing it.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Power steering pump seems to have the most effect.
worn out one whines a lot and does not work as efficiently . The handling saw significant improvement after replacing it.
Has a very small affect on handling. What does this have to do with his post? I am confused as always with your posts :dunno:

·
Banned
667 Posts
Has a very small affect on handling. What does this have to do with his post? I am confused as always with your posts :dunno:
he complains that the steering is not as great. A non maintained PS pump can make the wheel feel "loose". he has 140k miles on the PS pump so it could be worn out and efficiency is lower.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
my control arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar, and all four struts need replaced
he complains that the steering is not as great. A non maintained PS pump can make the wheel feel "loose". he has 140k miles on the PS pump so it could be worn out and efficiency is lower.
Hmm wonder if the above has anything to do with it? Everything above will have a large effect on steering and handling performance. Like I said before this guy needs to stop worrying about upgrading to police parts and start worrying about the basics. Sure a PS pump will cause looseness but, the above are of way higher concern. As long as PS pump is free of air, isn't making noise, and isn't leaking it IS working just fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm wonder if the above has anything to do with it? Everything above will have a large effect on steering and handling performance. Like I said before this guy needs to stop worrying about upgrading to police parts and start worrying about the basics. Sure a PS pump will cause looseness but, the above are of way higher concern. As long as PS pump is free of air, isn't making noise, and isn't leaking it IS working just fine.
I am replacing all of those parts I just want upgraded parts and he could be on to something with the power steering to it goes in and out sometimes but guys don't worry this whole thread was just for the sole purpose of asking wether or not its worth the extra money to pay for police control arms I'm going moog with the problem solver ball joints just wondering if its worth the extra 20 bucks to go for police version, I'm getting the gmpp kit front and back sway bar, and I'm undecided on what struts I want because I'm going to be ordering the ssc lowering springs. My question is not what needs to be replaced but is it worth the extra coin to get the police parts in what I need

·
Registered
432 Posts
First and foremost the police package Impala's do have bigger sway bars, the front bar is 34mm and is hallow. The rear sway bar is also bigger not by much, but it is noticeable. If you want to upgrade I suggest getting a Dorman front bar as they make a replacement for all W-Bodys that is 34mm and is solid, not hallow like the OE sway bar. The rear lateral arms on the 9c1s are solid square tubes, not the stamped steel that come on the standard impala's. The front control arms have stiffer bushings installed in them, thats about the only difference, if you want a cheaper alternative go with the GTP LCAs as they have stiffer bushings also. the front struts are reinforced and the springs are stiffer, you can also find those on the Olds Intrigues. Other parts that the 9c1s have that would be an upgrade is the thicker radiator and the 120AMP alternator, can also be found on the park ave ultras. From 00-02 the 9c1s had a power steering cooler only, 03-05 they added the engine and trans cooler. Everything I listed are probably the only worth while upgrades you can do to a standard impala. :eek:k3:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts