Impala Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 base with the 3400, currently at 119,xxx miles and counting setting an all stock suspension. As of now the car beats my guts out and anytime I take a curve that is barley even banked it bottoms out. I'm looking for something to give my car a firmer ride. defiantly looking into a front strut tower brace, struts, springs, bushings and motor mounts. I've searched this forum top to bottom and everything i find is about lowering the car, but where I drive there is no way I could even think about lowering the car. I have perdy good mechanical skills and a good amount of tools. This is my only car and I usually only bring in about $1100 every 2 weeks my budget is really tight, not to add that I work 6 days a week so I can't afford much down time. If anybody could chime in with links to quality affordable parts with the best bang for the buck and where to start it would be greatly appreciated.

And also on an unrelated note...:bang: While I'm driving a hear a constant wah-wah-wah sounding noise. I'v had my alignment checked multiple times and its fine. It has brand new 16x7 vision autobahn 168 wheels with good kuhmo solus tires on it. I have checked the wheel bearings and there is no play at all in them as well as no drag on the wheels when free-spinning them. The noise sounds to be coming from the rear but its possible that it is echoing from somewhere else. It gradually gets faster with speed but does not get louder.

Thanks in advanced for any help!!!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I apologize for the mistake, I thought I had clicked the suspension forum. I've been up for around 42 hrs now. If someone would be so kind to move this to the appropriate forum I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Moved for you.

Priority I would think should be getting your suspension back into stock shape, it sounds like your struts are shot. How are your springs? Sway bars? Sway bar links? Front STB and engine bay braces? Motor and trans mounts? Ball joints? Control arm bushings? Bottoming out is not normal for these cars, even with bad struts.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
None of the bushings are shot yet little to no play at all. The struts aren't bottoming out, its mainly the plastic lip in front of the radiator and the junk plastic mud flaps not a big deal just doesn't seem rite to me. I'v replaced the sway bar end links and thats it suspension wise. I was wondering about upgraded parts like kby adjustables or the gr2s and such and later down the road strut braces and poly bushings but i'd like to get started with a good platform. Do you know any recommended struts and springs that aren't for lowered cars.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
People tend to like the Monroe's, I have used the GR2's before and they are nice at first, but they wear out fast. Sounds like your springs might be sagged, I would go for some Monroe quick strut assemblies.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any good reviews from the monroe quick strut assembly's?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts